Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jet Database engine could not find the object 'Databases'

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkelly11

MIS
Feb 20, 2003
US
I have found myself in quite a pickle!! One of our executives has been working on a database for several months now. She states that she has been performing large data dumps into this database which is stored on a network drive. Last week while performing an import her system crashed. She rebooted, then opened the .mdb file again, where Access gave an error something to the effect of "would you like to repair this database". She replied yes and since then has been receiving the following error:

"Microsoft Jet Database Engine could not find the object 'databases'. Make sure the object exists and the path name is spelled correctly"

I've searched all over Microsofts website and so far found nothing that works. I tried JetComp to no avail. If anyone has a solution it would be greatly appreciated!!
(Access 2000 database, used in WinXPpro)

mkelly,

I think the pickle jar has gone sour.

But, just maybe there is hope(small chance)

When Access tries to compact and possibly repair a database, it first closes and works on a copy (I think).
Well, since your original database was on a Network, perhaps the work file is hidden on the network or possible there is a temp database(Work file) in the default access directory or the Windows\temp directory of her (the Executive's) PC.

I doubt that it is there, but you might want to look for a file of about the same size as the original mdb on her local drive and perhaps on the network as some type of temp file. It would be date and time stamped to match the incident.

Second, make sure you have tried the latest JetComp from Microsoft. There are different versions of this utility based on what version of access you are running.

Finally, whatever happens, remember that you can not ever backup your files often enough, but hopefully you have some recent backup.

Good Luck,
Hap Access Add-on developer [pc] - [americanflag]

If its on a network drive .. does that mean that a backup copy may be floating around somewhere?

Transcend
[gorgeous]

I would not say a backup copy. I was thinking more like a temporary work copy that access may have created while trying to compact/repair.

This was just a wishfull thought, not a guarentee

Hap Access Add-on developer [pc] - [americanflag]

What I meant is, are your network drives backed up regularly?

Transcend
[gorgeous]

Transcend

Years ago, when PCs first came out, I wrote a Medical Practice Management System. It got close to my deadline so I went in and worked all weekend. Back in the eighties, we only had 10 meg hard drives, so I had to delete temp files to make room for compiles.
Anyway, I would edit the xxx.bas file, delete the xxx.bak file that the editor created, compile and then test. Over and over, 18 hours straight, Sat and then Sunday. Well I had it all done, last compile,(almost midnight) when I edited the file, I was so used to typing bas and bak, I typed in the wrong file extension on my delete line.(wamo it was all gone).

>Delete xxx.bas
By accident.

Gone, all the work. (fortunately, I recovered most from the xxx.bak file)

My point, once you lose a file, hopefully you learn.

My Network drives are backed up to tape every night.
The tape goes off site the next day.
Weekly Friday tapes are held for a month.
Month End Tapes are held for a Year.
Year End Tapes are Held forever.

I make a backup copy of my daily work almost hourly.

Yes, I am backed up.

You can never have enough backups.

Now finding the correct backup to restore, well that's a different issue.

Have a Great Day,
Hap [2thumbsup] backit up [2thumbsup] ha ha
Access Add-on developer [pc] - [americanflag]

Hey folks! Thanks for all your idea's [thumbsup2]. Unfortunately for me (and our VP) our network team was not backing up this particular network drive, it's actually a miscellaneous drive meant for files to be temporarily loaded to, then removed (i.e. to another drive that's backed up or their hard drive). As I'm sure you both know though, no matter how many times you tell a user to back up important files...they never listen!![noevil] However we did end up purchasing a recovery utility that worked great!! So all is not lost!!

Check out I believe the price was around $600.00. However I found several others ranging in price from $100.00 - $350.00. Just search on "Access Recovery" on your favorite search engine. I found the higher the price the more detail you can recover or completely repair the file.

Happy Hunting [wink]
~Megan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back