Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JDBC INSERT PreparedStatement into Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

LenRI

Programmer
Jul 15, 2003
US
I'm having issues with the PreparedStatement when connecting to a MS Access DB wither through the JDBC-ODBC bridge or through a thirdy party level 3 JDBC driver. What I have at this point looks like something along these lines:

Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection(url, username, password);

ResultSet rs;
Statement stat = con.createStatement();

String query = "INSERT (ABC) INTO TEST VALUES(?)";
PreparedStatement pstat = con.prepareStatement(query);

pstat.setInt(1, 1);
pstat.executeUpdate();

When I execute it this, the code throws an SQLException referring to a sytax error:

java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement.

at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.createSQLException(JdbcOdbc.java:6879)

at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.standardError(JdbcOdbc.java:7036)

at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.SQLExecute(JdbcOdbc.java:3104)

at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcPreparedStatement.execute(JdbcOdbcPreparedStatement.java:214)

at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(JdbcOdbcPreparedStatement.java:136)

at TCPREdition.main(TCPREdition.java:32)

Exception in thread "main"

What's going on here?

>> What's going on here?

Your trying to execute a SQL Statement dynamically from code before you even tested it in the database environment.

-pete

Just to add to pete's response - The problem is with your SQL Statement, the correct would be:

INSERT INTO table_name
VALUES (value1, value2,....)

You can also specify the columns for which you want to insert data:

INSERT INTO table_name (column1, column2,...)
VALUES (value1, value2,....)

so try doing the following:
Code:
String query = "INSERT INTO TEST VALUES(?)";

For more information please check out:
Hope this helps.

I don't know much about JDBC but I'm just guessing, without testing, that the problem might be because you omitted a terminator (semicolon or another character) after the SQL statement, which most RDB's require.

try running this code segement.

ResultSet rs;
Statement stat = con.createStatement();

String query = &quot;INSERT INTO TEST(<column_name>,[<column_name>]) VALUES(?)&quot;;
PreparedStatement pstat = con.prepareStatement(query);

pstat.setInt(1, 1);
pstat.executeUpdate();

Basically your sql query is wrong.
The correct query would be as follows:
String query = &quot;INSERT INTO TEST(ABC) VALUES(?)&quot;;
[/b]
ABC would be your column name and the column in which u want to insert will be of number type.

yeah i got the fact that the sql was wrong shortly after i posted the message. thank you all for replying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back