Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JDBC Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

kophjager

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
Hello all,
Thanks for taking the time to look at my post. I have a problem that I could not find in the searches. I am trying to set up a connection to an Access database. I have the Access database driver installed in the ODBC manager and have the latest Java SDK installed. When I go to the connection wizard it pops the connection string in the appropriate place and the url says jdbc:eek:dbc[DSN]. I put the DSN name of my Access data base in there and I do not have a password or user for the database and then I get an error about the ODBC driver is not installed or the DSN name does not match any driver or something. I followed the instructions exactly in the help menu, does anyone know if there is some trick to get this working?
If I cannot get it working I am going to be working in *.asp pages( just trying something new), and if I do that does someone know of any good resources for an average experienced user to look at using ODBC classes for database access rather than using ADO? I've tried the microsoft knowledge base and have a hard time finding anything about it at a more intermediate level.
Thank you all for any help you may provide.

Have you set up a system dsn?

Cheech [Peace][Pipe]
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

Cheech,

I have system dsn setup in that points to my Access database. I still cannot seem to figure out why it is not working. The error that I get verbatim is "[Microsoft][Odbc Driver Manager]Data source name not found and no default driver specified." I have the connection name, 'connJournal', the driver is 'sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver', the URL is 'jdbc:eek:dbc:[Journal]', the username and password are blank and 'using driver on this machine' is checked. Thats what I understand from the helpfiles is how to go about setting it up and all I added in was the connection name and the DSN name, Journal to the URL line. I did mention previously, but I am running IIS 5.0. Thanks for any help.

kophjager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back