Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jaws folder...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyLS

Technical User
Mar 29, 2004
US
Can anyone explain what the function of the jaws folder within QuarkXPress? It seems to be a repository for redundant .ps fonts that XPress creates for it. Why does it so that?

Loose it and you won't be able to create qxp pdf's via >File>Export>PDF.

Okay. It helps create PDFs via the Export PDF function. I wasn't planning on deleting it. But can I trash all the redundant fonts that are in it? It doesn't start full, does it? I'm trying to get a handle on what jaws does and why it needs to keep all those redundant files it creates.

To get quark to _import_ PDFs recently without crashing, for example, I had to _swap out_ the jaws folder with another, leaner folder from another copy of Quark 6 we're running. So directed Quark when they helped us with some troubleshooting.

Sorry, misunderstood. You can delete any of the fonts you want...just keep the folder.

The fonts are added everytime you create a pdf with the 'embed all fonts' option selected which I'm sure you know is located under the Job Options Tab.

I have a JAWs related problem. We have designers hat only use a specific group of fonts. This eliminates any font sub problems at the RIP. I realize the JAWS folder is tied to PDF, but all the fonts show in the font menu, which allows/causes designers to use any of those fonts, including ones not loaded on the RIP, resulting in font sub to courier.

We are saving ads as eps at present...saving as pdf is on the horizon, once the excessive file size of those filesis remidied in Quark.

Any way to limit the fonts in either the JAWS folder, or in the font menu?

Scanman,

Do you have a font handler like Extensis Suitcase? Also, are the fonts you are using embedded within a particular graphic and then pulled into a Quark Image box?

For example: If you save an Adobe Illustrator file as an EPS but do not use the 'create outline' feature to convert the set text into graphics, those fonts will sometimes result in a Courier substitution when the EPS is pulled into Quark. This is because Quark can't always read the fonts that are part of an embedded image file that is pulled into an image box.

Brady

Here is the scenario...The graphic designers have legal fonts numbering around 300 or so....These fonts are loaded on each machine, as well as the RIP.

Quark 6 has fonts in a folder in Applications>Quark>Jaws>ttfont. There are 933 fonts in there. They also show in the font menu in Quark. I can delete all the fonts/replace them with my set, etc.

When I restart Quark ALL 933 fonts come back into that folder..

Has nothing to do with importing graphics

Scanman,

Sorry to misunderstand you. I'm out of my league on this question.

Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back