Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JavaSoft, required or not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardMcJunkin

Technical User
Feb 4, 2002
US
I am cleaning up my hard drive and have come across the program "JavaSoft" using 15.0 mb. Do I need this program to surft the net, use word, excel and quicken? What does the program do?

Thank you,
Richard

Javasoft is the name of the folder that the Java Runtime Environment installation program in Windows used to install to prior to version 1.4

Any Java applications you use could be using it.

-pete

A Java Applet on a web page is an example of a Java Application. Another would be Forte, but i'm not sure i understand your question correctly.

-pete

If I uninstalled JavaSoft, what programs or type of file would NOT work properly? I do not have a web page and do not have anything to do with developing web pages. All I do is type letters with Word, use Excel for a couple worksheets, scan pictures with a PhotoElf program, use Quicken, and use email. I do not download anything. Pete, do you think I could uninstall JavaSoft without disrupting any of my normal activities?
Thank you,
Richard

Word and Excel don't rely on Java. I doubt that Quicken does, PhotoElf i never heard of so can't say.

You certainly use a browser otherwise your post would not exist. Some web sites use Java Applets in there web pages and they would not work if you were using that JVM for applets in your browser.

You could try things the hard way by renaming the folder then executing all the applications you deem critical to verify they still operate correctly.

-pete

Thanks Pete, that does clear things up a bit. I will give you suggestions a try. Thank you for your advice.
Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back