Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

javascript refuses to execute

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmarts

Technical User
Oct 31, 2005
US
Lately, my win2K system has gotten wonky. Using any browser (opera, firefox or IE), as a normal "power user", I cannot get any javascript to work (e.g. making mail.yahoo.com delete it's spam and/or trash). However, as an administrator, it all works fine. How can I diagnose this silliness? It started an M$ update or so ago, and doesn't depend on the version, i.e. 1.4 or 1.5.

fyi:
Java Plug-in 1.5.0_05
Using JRE version 1.5.0_05 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

and I have a dump from the console, but it's singularly uninformative to me. Note that I am not writing javascript; I am merely trying to get the javascript on various websites toi execute.

chagin1 at yahoo dot com

Firefox: Tools/Options.../Web Features

Is Enable Javascript checked?

yes. all the browsers have javascript enabled, and I have run it with firewalls, etc. disabled as well. No joy. The javascript DOES work as an adminsitrator in the same browsers. Why this should be so is a mystery to me.

Do you have some virus checker or something like Norton Internet Security blocking it?

Norton lcient security has javascript enabled. I have also run it with the firewall compeltely DISabled, to no avail. I have set and reset permissions on the java folders as well - no effect. IE gave me an "out of stack space" error once, if that helps.

Doesn't mean anything to me but it might do to some of the others on Monday.

Have you tried reinstalling Service Pack 4?

If not, download the entire install package from Microsoft's web site. Do not use the Automatic Update feature.

Do you have a direct link to the download? I have always used update, but not as "automatic" - always done it manually.

Well, I reinstalled SP4 (the file SP4Express_EN.exe), and then did the update site, which installed a javascript patch. Result: no change. Javascript, and apparently CSS efffects still will not execute as a user in any browser.

You are using NTFS and not FAT32, right?

Is there any policy in effect on your network that would prohibit you from writing to the root of your drive?

Is there any policy that would prohibit you from running Jave scripts?

Administrator level would disable most policy restrictions.

Correction:

Is there any policy that would prohibit you from running Java scripts?

Sorry,
David.

I have gone through all the security policies, and there is nothing that I can see that even mentions java or javascript (perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places?). I have saved the event logs from the system and the application sections (evt files, loadable by the event viewer). One error that keeps coming up in the log is "unable to load the COM module" (iirc); fwiw. I remain completely stumped as to why javascript will not execute as a user (e.g. emptying the trash on yahoo mail), but will as an administrator, and why CSS type code won't display in the browsers at all for any type logon (e.g. has a logo - three comma shapes in a circle with some japanese characters - at the top over the text; it won't display on this machine, but will display on others).

OK - updates. I uninstalled/reinstalled (times 3, with search and destroy missions) symatec client security. And finally things begin to work again. CSS functions corectly, and it appears that javascript is again executing. I need a test site for that though - got one?

This one, for example, when you select another forum or a FAQ, it's done with Javascrit.

Cheers,
Dian

You could try programmers heaven, they have all kinds of java script test code. Sorry, I don't have the URL for them right now, but a simple search for java script will bring up their site.

yay! - all works now. Thanks all for the help and pointers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back