Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Javascript Problems with IE6

Status
Not open for further replies.

orlNewbie

Programmer
Jan 15, 2003
US
I appreciate any advice anyone might be able to offer.

I'm running IE6 on a WinXP Pro machine. JavaScript is
somehow turned off. I've tried every thing and is quite
frustrated at this point. In previous versions, i could
go to Tools-->Internet Options-->Advanced and turn on/off
JavaScript from there, but that option is just not there.
I even tried going to security and set a custom level, but
to no avail. There is NO option under 'advanced' which
would allow me to do this.

thanks again in advance

Friends.

I re-installed IE6. It went smoothly, once I edited the Registry item that said that IE was aleady installed to say it is not installed.

It does not help, though. :-( If I click on any Show Video or other link on cnn.com that is a Javascript link, then absolotely nothing happens.

Could it be that some of the necessary processes in my XP Pro is not running, thus preventing the Javastript from working? But it does work when I use those test-sites mentioned above, though. I did also install the latest Media Player, so I don't know. Does anyone know what processes are necessary for Javascript to work on a web page?

Carl

callevb,
I realize this is boing backwards, but do you have the Java Virtual Machine installed?

Carrr

Yes, I do. The latest version downloadable from the Sun site.

I am trying out some other browsers to see if those make any difference.

Carl

We'll, there is a post at the top of this forum that talks about a critical update that causes scripting to be removed from the PC. Check it out and see if it fixes your problem.

thread608-511172

It appears that these users can't open windows with the patch installed.

Hello,
I have the same problem and going crazy on finding the solution. I've tried all the remedies that have been stated here. I have Microsoft VM and Sun Java latest versions installed. I'm running win 98 SE. Any ideas to solve this matter. Thanks in advance...

I went to Tools>Internet>Options>General>Select Settings>View Objects and all that stuff, and when i looked at my java it said it was damaged. i know taht its not supposed to be like that but i dont know wat to do, can anyone help?

Once you have an internet connection. Try right clicking the damaged entitity and go 'update' . This fixed a damaged component for me

thanks for the tip but it doesnt seem to fix the problem, its refusing to update for some reason

ok i think i might have done something stupid :( i removed the javascript environment from the view objects menu and tried reinstalling it, and its still the same thing. and the weird thing is that when i take all the tests it shows up, but when im trying to join particular sites, it says javascript " ' " not found...i really could use some advice, thx

Hi All,

I am getting a problem in javascript in IE6.0 where i am trying to store some value in hidden variable on click of back button i am not getting the value of that hidden variable. This works fine in IE5.0 where i have the value of hidden variable available to me after click of back button.

Please let know if you have seen this problem and have some resoluiton.

Thanks & Regards,
Devendra.

Hey all

I have sort of the same problem but with a twist. We have a javascript at work for our users to connect and authenitcate to our firewall. we have just upgraded to sp4 along with filling all the other holes in good old mickysoft's product. since then only administrators of their pc's can run the java applet. I figure its a permissions issue but where? We have Micksoft support so I called them and they have no clue. any ideas would help

I have the same problem only with officepools.com there is a javascript link to open the pool on. This works perfectly well at work but at home I can't get it to work. I have tried all your posts and even a different browser (I down loaded neoplanets) and still nothing. most off the links will work but the enter pool, create pool, and e-mail for help javascript links do not work. AAaahhh If any one give me some advice i will be greatfull

Chef Tom

PCDestroyer, you mention Javascript and Java, both are different and completely independent of each other (other than the name).

Check your IE settings and see if you are allowing scripts and controls to be run. If the site you're attempting to get to is registering as Local Intranet (lower right hand status of IE) then set the Local Intranet in IE setting to allow Javascript and other controls. And if you've added the particular site as a "Trusted Site" then do the same custom setting for it as well.

All of this can be found under Tools | Internet Options | Security. Play around with the JVM security settings as well.

If that doesn't work do a tracert on the address and see if you can resolve it. If that works then you've got some type of firewall issue.

Craig

Hi all. I just wanted to say that I finnaly solved my problem without having to reformat. For me it was a combination of trying 4 or 5 things that you guys suggested, making it a trusted site and finnally shutting down my Norten internet security at the same time. Once again

thanks guys
happy.gif

.. if you want to enable JavaScript (as opposed to Java, totally different thing) in IE6 the option is cleverly named "Active Scripting" :-(

So it would be Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Custom -> Active Scripting and set it to prompt or enable.

G'luck

Posting code? Wrap it with code tags: [ignore]
Code:
[/ignore][code]CodeHere
[ignore][/code][/ignore].

I have also experienced JavaScript stopped working. Worked OK before installing latest servicePac windows 2000 Pro and securityupdates to IE 6.0. In my case cannot resize windows opened with JavaScript. And it costs money to contact Microsoft...

I had a similar problem with a similar configuration. Try first exiting from your pop-up blocker (in my case, Ad-Subtract Pro), then delete your temporary internet files, including all off-line content. See if the javascript links now work and if they do, you can start Ad-Subtract Pro again. This always works for me. However, it seems each time I want Javascript to work I have to do this whole procedure. Can anyone you figure out why all this is necessary?

GarFor
At last I found my problem with Javascripts. it was in the registry. here is the key that got corrupted by SP4

HKCR\TypeLib\{EAB22AC0-30C1-11CF-A7EB-0000C05BAE0B}

this key I had to fix the permissions on. Somehow users didnt have read rights. adding them to have read right fixed it for me... NO thanks to MS

Hope that helps

I went to "I went to Tools>Internet>Options>General>Select Settings>View Objects" and deleted the key for Wild Tangent which solved my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back