Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Javascript Problems with IE6

Status
Not open for further replies.

orlNewbie

Programmer
Jan 15, 2003
US
I appreciate any advice anyone might be able to offer.

I'm running IE6 on a WinXP Pro machine. JavaScript is
somehow turned off. I've tried every thing and is quite
frustrated at this point. In previous versions, i could
go to Tools-->Internet Options-->Advanced and turn on/off
JavaScript from there, but that option is just not there.
I even tried going to security and set a custom level, but
to no avail. There is NO option under 'advanced' which
would allow me to do this.

thanks again in advance

Okay, going to take a run here...
Go to Tools>Internet Options>Security>highlight Internet>hit the Custom Level Button. Scroll to the eigth entry and make sure Java is not disabled. Next, go to the General tab. Select Settings>View Objects. How does your Java look? Status? If anything other than "Installed," go here and get yourself a new install:

hey carr...

thanks for the info. I've tried :

"Go to Tools>Internet Options>Security>highlight
Internet>hit the Custom Level Button"

But that didn't work...will try the rest of your
suggestion today, sounds like it should take care
of my issue..again thanks a lot for the help

Dear friends.

I am experiencing the exact same problem with Javascripts, running XP Pro (SP1) and IE6 (latest). When I get a link on a page (like cnn.com), that says Javascript:...., then when I click on that, then absolutely nothing happens. :-(

I tried Carrr's suggestion, but everything was already set up that way. I have disbled Outpost Firewall, set IE Security to Medium-Low etc, but nothing changes this situation. I d-l the latest Javascript from the Sun site,and it installed fine, and shows up as Installed.

Can someone of you please suggest something else I could do?

Thanks
Carl

Callevb,

Try this. Go to a command prompt. Type in "jview" ... ignore the quotes. Hit enter. Look for a line that reads: Microsoft (R) Command-line Loader for Java. Version 5.00.....
What are the last four digits of that number?

carr

thanks for the initial advice.

before i followed your instructions, i went to the following sites, which did not load, which suggested, Java was not installed :

- Java test

- another Java test

after reading your post, i went to java.sun.com and installed the latest Java VM (i didn't install the wrong thing did i?)...after doing so however, the above sites loaded fine...but, like Callevb, if i go to, for instance, CNN, and clicks a link which is supposed to open up a window running java...nothing happens...just as Callevb described....any other suggestions?

One more thing...if i run "jview" what should it say? and if it doesn't what do i do to bring it to what it should be?

Yours should read 5.00.3908, as you've installed the VM.
Go into Tools, Internet Options, Security tab, Internet, Custom Level, scroll down to Microsoft VM, Java permission, make sure it's not disabled, set to Low of Medium. Also, look on the Advanced tab, make sure your Java and VM settings are enabled.

Strange, is your ISP or your PC running any type of popup blocking software? I know everyone has talked about removing/installing a new version of Java but, it it sounds like something is stopping basic javascript from working.

Craig

Good point, ctarr. I hadn't raised it yet, but...pop-up software, interMute is notorious for it, can booger up your Java.

ctarr/carrr

that's an excellent observation, because, Java works if i visit the Java Test website...but my complaint now, arises out of java windows not opening up...i have a site, that uses java script to pop up a window on load of the site, and it's not working..I do have pop up blocking software installed...but it's not running...it's not in the system tray nor is it set to auto load when windows starts up...
don't think there's a service running, but i guess that's something to look at...

in the event, there is no service running in the background, and the application hasn't started, would you reckon uninstalling the app. would make a difference?

It shouldn't, but... uninstall it and see what happens (if you've got the software to reinstall it, that is). What pop-up stopper, by the way. Also, if you've had any previous pop-up killers on board, incomplete uninstalls have caused problems like this as well.

Hi there.

Thanks to you all for good suggestions, but the problem persists. :-(

I also checked that Java testing site, and it works fine. The Jview command gives me ..3809, and I think that should be the latest one (maybe not 3908 as Carr writes?).

The Internet Options are all set ok, according to the suggestions.

I downloaded the latest MS Media Player to see if that makes any difference, but it did not.

I also do run a firewall with a pop-up stopper, but I turned it (first the pop-up stopper, and then the whole firewall) off and it did not make a difference. The program I am using is Outpost Firewall.

I tried to re-install IE6 (from my HD), and it started ok, but then it skipped the actual installation, but said it was done ok. :-( I guess it does think that I don't need to re-install it as I already got the latest one? Just thought that re-installing IE could help, but who knows?

Any more suggrestions? They are warmly welcome.

Carl

Yep...3809. Selective dyslexia on my part...
Try this, rather than a reinstall. Go to Start, Run, type in "msinfo32" -- without the quotes -- and run it. Go to Tools, look for Internet Explorer Repair Tool. Run it and see what happens.

Hey Guys

The problems described above that i've been experiencing, occurs on my home PC, last night after updating my version of Java, i followed carrr's suggestions :

"Yours should read 5.00.3908, as you've installed the VM.
Go into Tools, Internet Options, Security tab, Internet, Custom Level, scroll down to Microsoft VM, Java permission, make sure it's not disabled, set to Low of Medium. Also, look on the Advanced tab, make sure your Java and VM settings are enabled."

This seemed to have worked...if i go to CNN.com, the Java Windows now open up fine...but my pop up window on my site doesn't open on load...but i'm not gonna worry about that at this point...so thanks a lot for all the info. guys..
greatly appreciate it...best of luck Callevb! I'm running into a new problem now, where, IE is freezing when i right click and open new windows...

carrr...forgive my ignorace, i ran "msinfo32" but couldn't find an "internet explorer repair tool"

thanks again

Hmmm...when you run msinfo32, you get a window called Microsoft System Info, right?
On the menu bar, you should see a Tools drop down. Is the first option there not Internet Explorer Repair Tool? (This is really for my own edification, as I don't run XP...this is what I see in 98).

Also, your "pop up window on my site doesn't open on load" problem is likely tied directly to the pop-up killer you've got on your machine...

hey carrr

no...on XP there's no internet explorer tool :

the available tools are :

Disk Cleanup
Dr. Watson
Direct X Diagnostic Tool
Hardware Wizard
Network Connections
Backup
File Signature Verification Utility
Update Wizard Uninstall
Windows Report Tool

you're most welcome dude..THANKS for all the info./assist

Friends.

Thanks for all the good suggestions, but none of them seem to work for me. :-(

I went to the site and tried the second suggestion (I have tried the first one a couple of times before). When I found the ie.inf and r-clicked it and chose Install, it started out fine, and found several files on my XP Pro CD. Then it stopped and could not find a file. Well, I then directed it to my C: drive, to searh in the Windows Update Files. It found some in there, and some in the Service Pack files. Some where in .cab files and I had to first extract the file for the setup to fin them. What a mess. I hope I did not get a mismatch of files now. :-(

I think that I will now go and re-install IE6 and see if that has any effect on the Javascript problem. IF I can get it to allow me to re-install it. That is another question.

Thanks again for all your help. I am only slightly frustrated, but I have gotten used to this kind of problems, as they seem to be the normal think, not the extra-ordinary.

Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back