Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Javascript: Problem With Netscape Fine in IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creeder

Programmer
Jul 5, 2000
MY
Hi all,

I have a basic login page. On IE 5.0 when the user clicks the submit button without entering a login name and password, it will bring the user to another page informing of the error.

On Netscape 6.1 though, if the user repeats the same steps, and click submit, it will bring the user to the next page as if the user has entered a correct login and password.

What is the problem. Any help is much appreciated.

You are not being very specific -- could you give some more information? ===
Supports Mozilla and Web Standards
Knows HTML/XHTML, CSS1, JavaScript, PHP, C++, DOM1
===

Thanks for replying.

Basically I have a login page where the user can enter a login name and password. If the user has entered a correct password and login name it will bring the user to page B for example. In IE 5.0 if the user clicks the submit button without entering any login name and password it will NOT bring the user to page B.

However on Netscape 6.1, if the user does not enter any login name and password and clicks submit it WILL bring the user to page B. By the way the page is in ASP.

Does Netscape and IE handle ASP code diffently?

No it does not handle asp code differently -- there should be no difference in that code -- I would say the problem is in your asp somewhere... ===
Supports Mozilla and Web Standards
Knows HTML/XHTML, CSS1, JavaScript, PHP, C++, DOM1
===

In your ASP check to see if request.servervariables("AUTH_USER") is valid.

if you are using basic NT authentication to set your user ID. Otherwise it sounds like you need a simple form validation function prior to submitting a form.

Post your validation code, so that we can see what you are doing. It might help us see if you are using code that netscape does not recognize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back