Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Javascript pop-up problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott088

Technical User
Aug 16, 2003
US
Hey, hopefully someone can help me.. Ok Everytime I visit a website or click a link that has a javascript pop-ups they never pop up and at the bottom of IE it says error on page...It usually says syntax or unterminated string constant error..I've downloaded the lastest version of IE and still not working.. any suggestions? If this helps my OS is ME and i'm not running any pop up blockers or anything...any suggestions?

Yes according to the site..i am javascript enable.. just those popups i don't get.

You say you are NOT running a pop-up stopper but do you have zonealarm - try temporarily disabling it and see if it makes a difference.

Also try this :-

Go to Start>Run, and type in each of the following lines separately,

regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll

After each line, click OK, and a dialog box notifies that the dll has been registered successfully.

After registering all dlls, reboot.

I registered all of them successfully but still no pop ups and no i don't have zonealarm.

Are you connecting through a proxy server ?

Delete your temp files

Do a search for your "hosts" file - not hosts.sam - "hosts" has no extension.

Now a choice - either delete it, or rename to "hosts.xyz"

If you rename you can always revert back if you want later - however your computer will run perfectly well without it.

Have you tried a repair of IE ?

I changed the file names and repaired IE but still to no success and no i don't connect through proxy

Are you getting that same error at more than one web site? An unterminated string error means there is a coding error in the Javascript language used by the web author and not an error with IE.

For example, a closing " is missing from a line in the script that opened with a ". So that is what IE is reporting.

It would be curious if you are getting that same error on every web page that uses Javascript.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

i get either syntax error unterminated string constant or expected '}' on nearly every page i visit i get the syntax one at msn.com and the other two at swirve.com and many other sites (those are just the ones i frequent)

I just wrote zeros to my hard drive and did a clean install of Windows XP home on my computer. And now I am haveing this problem as well. I have tried and looked for an answer to this problem for the last 2 days to no avail.HELP!!!!!!

Have tried it already. Went to jview in dos and am running version 5.0 3810

Well i hope someone find a solution to this problem, been 6 months and still no success :D, i've learned to live with it though

I have the same problem with Windows XP Home. I am using this less-than-satisfying workaround until someone finds a solution:

Try first exiting from any pop-up blocker (in my case, Ad-Subtract Pro), then delete your temporary internet files, including all off-line content (>Tools >Internet Options >Delete Files). Navigate back to another web page, then return to the page you were viewing. Then see if the javascript links now work and if they do, you can start Ad-Subtract Pro again.

This always works for me. However, it seems each time I want Javascript to work I have to do this whole procedure. Can anyone figure out why all this is necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back