Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Javascript Link: 1st file > 2nd > 3rd > Current Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlieu

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2002
US
I was trying to set up a hyperlink tree with the following format:

homepage > section > page > subpageetc >

based on the headings of each page using hidden variables...but then I'm thinking some of the sites that have such trees aren't using coldfusion...so javascript? And if they are using javascript, can anyone direct me to a web resource with a tutorial on it?

Not real sure what you are looking for here?
Are you wanting to setup something like tek-tips directory thing, at the top of this page?
ex.
Home > Forum Areas > Programmers > Graphics & Web Tools > Macromedia (Allaire): ColdFusion Forum

You gave the example:
homepage > section > page > subpageetc >

Does this have to be dynamic, would subpageetc always fall under page, section, and homepage.

A shot in the dark:
You could pass the previous pages as a list either through the url or as a hidden form varriable.
If the user goes down the tree, add another page.
If the user goes up the tree, remove the last page.
To make make the tree, just parse the list out.
The only way i know how to do this in javascript
is by doing dhtml.

Hope I helped a little, if not please write back with more info. :) Randall2nd

Thats exactly what I mean, Randall.

I've used javascript history(-1) functions...but that doesnt take into account the directory structure and sometimes goes back to the same page ie. thispage.cfm?id=1, thispage.cfm?id=3.

I've checked out javascript trails on the web at but noticed that if you drill down and refresh, it screws things up.

I've tried coldfusion cookie trails, but again, I'm having problems with the directory structure...it might now show the same page twice...but it'll show every darn page the person has been too.

So the solution you're specifying is EXACTLY what I wanted. At this point I'm pretty much exhausted my gray matter. If you could show me some code snippets I'd be grateful, since I only know basic javascript.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back