Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JavaScript in your web browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrzejek

Programmer
Jan 10, 2006
US
Internet Explorer 8 on Win7 machine.

When I go to I see a message "Enable javascript to use LMGTFY"

So I go to Tools - Internet Options - Security - Custom level... - Security Settings - Internet Zone - Scripting - Active Scripting and I do have "Enable" selected.

If I go to: I get the message "JavaScript is enabled in your web browser. If you disable JavaScript, this text will change."

How come I have "Enable javascript to use LMGTFY" on Google site?

Have fun.

---- Andy

I don't know the reason, but I have IE11 and when I tell it to run as IE8 I get that same message. Must be something they are testing for that fails to pass in IE8

Well the page issues some JS errors on IE8 relating to Jquery. Seems there's something that IE8 simply can't handle in the jQuery libraries being used.

Basically IE8 is simply not supported by lmgtfy.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

I know that there are some sites out there now that will not run on IE8 and below. (DisneyJunior.com, for one). The website scripting has a test for IE 8 and below, and if it fails, it displays a warning about you web browser being too old to be able to display the site. It might be the same thing for lmgtfy.com too, but they just forgot to change the warning from javascript in general to one about web browser being out of date, maybe?

After looking at the sites code in a web debugger, it appears that the javascript used by it utilzes some functions that are not compatible with IE8. I run IE9 on my windows 7 machine and I love it more than FF or Chrome. I would strongly encourage you to upgrade to 9. I tried 10, but for some reason it loaded too slow for my taste, so I downgraded back to IE9 and have left it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back