Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Javascript errors when browsing the net (with IE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nath

Programmer
Dec 5, 2001
ES
Hi there,

Not a javascript programmer problem, but more user problem. Hope someone in this forum can help me.
When I browse on the net, I often get error messages. If I debug them, I realise they always take place within javascript code.

It happens too often and on too many different sites for it to be due to programming errors within the site.

Therefore I suppose I somehow corrupted my "javascript module" (whatever it is) on my PC. Any clue about how I can check the integrity of my javascript module, or reinstall it or any idee whatsoever about what I could do.

Thanks a lot for any suggestion,

Nath

It is highly unlikely you have corrupted anything.

If you have filtering software (i.e. Webwasher) that selectively removes portions of scripts (i.e. popup menus) then it's plausible that the remaining scripts will fail simply because they were designed to reference the now missing popup script.

Else, I would say it's just shoddy programming that isn't compatible with your browser. You didn't say which browser software you are using but some (i.e. Opera) often go unaccounted for by amateur webdesigners.

----------
I'm willing to trade custom scripts for... [see profile]

Hi Stormbird,

I don't think it is the browser. I didn't mentioned it in my body message (sorry), but in the title: it's Internet Explorer, so it would definitely be taken into account.

I don't think either my software removes anything from the script, but isn't it possible that the dll (or whatever) that allows Internet Explorer to understand javascript got corrupted somehow?

Thx 4 help!

If just one script works, to me it seems implausible that the interpreter could be in any way corrupted.

Can you post a link to a site that gives you trouble so that others can confirm whether the problem is your software or the webpage? :)

----------

Good idea, thx.

Try and select english. With my browser, I get an error message saying "Access id denied", and when I debug I am within javascript code at the following line:

Code:
parent.document.all[frame.name].width = 468
[code]

And you?

I too get an access denied message. It's probably due to cross-frame scripting.

Scripts aren't allowed to read/write to any document from another domain.

I didn't seek the exact fault but there are google adverts which I'm assuming are in a frame which makes a script that is trying to interact with that frame a suspect.

Used Windows/IE6.

----------

Actually, if you look at the bottom of the page by the banner the source code reads...

<iframe src=&quot;http://adv.macmusic.org

And there is a script from the same domain. But that script is embedded into...

http://www.macmusic.org which is a different subdomain and that makes this script the primary suspect, imho.

----------

That's really great of you to take time to test that stormbird. I couldn't believe it could happen that often, though!

Will leave it as it is and not worry anymore then! Thx again

Nath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back