Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

javascript engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

tatum

Technical User
Dec 20, 2002
US
This is driving me nuts. I have a problem with the javascript engine. Nothing using javascript seems to work. I tried re-registering jscript.dll and that failed. I downloaded and installed the 5.6 script engine install and jscript failed to register there as well.

I have tried every method I could find and nothing has worked. I used the IEfix tool, ie.inf install of Internet Explorer, last known good configuration, system restore and sfc /scannow. No luck with any of this. I have a feeling it might be corrupt registry keys for jscript but I dont know where to look. any ideas?

thanks
~Tatum~

the error just says it could not register the file. i think the error code returned from regsvr32 is 0x80004005. I think java is installed but I am not in front of the machine right now. I didn't think Java had anything to do with javascript

Hello tatum,

Check out if you can find
[tt] "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer"[/tt]
under Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced Tab > Security. Turn it on.

regards - tsuji

I cant find it. I think it is only for Service pack 2 and it is not installed on the computer.

Have you modified your HOSTS file at all? You can use notepad to view the file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
It should look just like this:

[tt]
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back