Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

javac misses a file

Status
Not open for further replies.

turncom

Programmer
May 3, 2002
US
I have some code that compiles just fine on Windows 2000.

I then transfer the *.java files (67 in number) to a Linux box. (Red Hat Linux Advanced Server release 2.1AS/i686 Pensacola to be specific.) When I compile it, javac misses the first file alphabetically. I transfered all the files in the same manner, so it shouldn't be an issue of corruption.

So, here' my hack. I make a dummy class - aaaa.java. It does nothing. But it is before everything alphabetically. Now everything compiles, including aaaa.class.

Does anyone have a clue what is going on here? We run our code from Development to Integration and finally to Production. THE SAME THING happens on the Development and Integration boxes. I DON'T want to do this silly dance in Production.

Has anyone had this experience? Does javac miss a file? And remember, it doesn't give an error message. It's like it doesn't see the file at all.

type `which java`. In my past experience, if this is the gnu (gcj) compiler/JVM then it is *not very good*. If this is the case, I'd install the latest Sun SDK.

I'm going mad.

Not `which java` but java -version

Here's what I get:
wturner.DEV.pdc-al-lnx21> java -version
java version "1.3.1_03"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1_03-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.1_03-b03, mixed mode)

I suppose that means it's Sun's and it's version 1.3.1_03-b03.

So, has anyone had compilation problems on Red Hat with this version of Java?

Hmmmm... we've never come across that one before ... bizaar.

1.3.1? try upgrading to 1.4, may be an old bug or some other devilry. Just a suggestion.

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Since on one else has experienced my problem, I have decided that it is one of the following:
-my file really is corrupt (even though I don't see how)
-the server has some odd configuration
-the administrator of the server is messing with my head

Although the third is always a possibility (and no doubt deserved) I think it is probabily the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back