Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java vs Kotlin 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Moris53,

In my case, when I want to use (on JVM) a language which promise to be simpler than Java, I want it for scripting. Here my choice is Groovy (or maybe Jython or JRuby).
I looked at Kotlin, but for me the language has many drawbacks:
- new very strange syntax (maybe just for me) completely different from Java
- I doubt if it would be suitable for scripting
- it was created by JetBrains, so I'm not sure how good are other IDEs supported (I'm using eclipse)
- as they wrote in article you mentioned above - the community is small (at this time)
So for scripting purposes, when I'm comparing Groovy and Kotlin, for me the winner is Groovy - for its simple syntax and nice usage of regular expressions (like in Perl), ...

But what I wrote above was my individual opinion.
In your case, when you want create an app for android, that is the purpose for what Kotlin should be primary used (as I have read ...). So I think, in your use case Kotlin is worth of trying. You can try to create simple app and compare the effort as if you were using Java. It could be good expertise.

Or you can try both: according to the docs, Kotlin is compatible with Java

Cheers,
Dian

Thx guys appreciate it. I'll try Kotlin then or even create some simple app first using both of them and compare the effort as you said.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back