Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java Servlet Development / Deployment Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

saleems

IS-IT--Management
Apr 18, 2005
IN
Dear All,

We are developing a project on home PC which is 64MB Ram PII and 4GB Hard disk. The project will be developed in phases, from a medium to large scale size. Due to limitation on hardware and our understanding that WebSphere requires 265MB ram, we have decided upon using the following tools / software architucture for development on home PC and later to migrate the same on a larger scale.

Phase 1 (Development Phase)
1.Front page 2000 (For HTML and JSPs)
2.Visual Age for Java (FOr Servlets and Java Beans)
3.Web Logic (Application / Web Server)
4.Oracle DataBase

Once the first phase is completed and tested, we intend to migrate the same
using the following:
1. Web Sphere Studio (Development Enviroment)
a. Web Sphere Page Designer (For HTML and JSPs)
b. Web Sphere Builder (For Servlets and Java Beans)

2. Web Sphere 3.0 as Application Server
3. IIS for Web Server
4. Oracle or DB2 Database

Please review our understanding with the development/deployment environemet
and provide your positive feedback.

Thanks and kind regards,

Saleem

salahuds@usa.net
salahuds@hotmail.com

One thing only:
I have worked (a small project only) with VAJ on WinNT4, PII-350, 64MB and it was very slow, sometimes liked a "hang up"; the OS was always swapping (if another application was runnig, too). Thus, I recommend 128MB of RAM.
BTW, I liked VAJ.

Otto

Well, if you have the Oracle tools on your machine AND the VisualAge environment, you'll need much more than what you have...or at least try not to have both processes active at the same moment. But, I strongly recommend you to have at least 128MB, even if you just run VisualAge.

Pat

The 3 phases in your project will take you or your company a lot of money in software purchasing. It will be far more than you extend your hardware - momeries.

In your 1st phase, you have used Weblogic, all technologies it supports are higher than them in WebSphere. So the immigrating in your 2nd phase will wast you many time for your WebLogic-WebSphere solution, especially on deployment.

I suggest you only use single server and single development tool, whatever which company.

Try to get the development machine (especially the application server) identical to the deployment machine. We had a lot of trouble tracking down problems caused by the app server on the deployment machine which was different from development (so much for WORA... but that is the practice).

Get lots more RAM. VAJ requires 128MB, but will not be stable (if ever) with less than 256. Also run NT or Win2K. It helps getting VAJ not to crash as much.
With Oracle and Weblogic also running, you need AT LEAST 512MB for a stable environment, along with 1GB free on your primary drive for swapfiles.

My choice would be (using as much as possible what you mention you have):
Weblogic
Oracle
JBuilder
Apache for a webserver if the built-in server in Weblogic is not good enough.
I would also seriously consider placing the production system on a true Unix machine (so not linux), probably Solaris or HP-Ux (but then, I am spoiled by almost unlimited budgets).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back