Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

java script and fox 26 for front end

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitelo

Programmer
Mar 7, 2001
background: about 3 years ago I became the data processing manager for a telemarketing firm that was using 286's and novell 3.1 / dos to print lables.

parms: using novell 4.x mixed win95/98/2000 {not my choice}
fox26 and providing support for access/xcel {also nmc}
lots of "sneaker ware" {once again nmc} dont ask why. and users that have a real talent for causing foxpro to crash/error ect...

Im re-writing some data entry programs for the company and have been "playing" with the idea of using html/java script for the user interface and print routines. im good at dos,html,fox26{guts not very artistic with @ say's} but have a little or no savy with the novell. my problem is that i have no clue on how to get the java to talk to foxpro. can i run the foxpro program(s) and have java send data to some kind of buffer that foxpro can read(like stdin in c} (i once wrote a cookie reader in foxpro to check and see if users were playing on the net}

{keep it cheap i have no budget for r&d}
{recommendations for books are welcome}

Here's an example of how to connect fox2.6 table via .asp code, using the VFP driver (you can also put javascript in your .asp/html, to perform edits):

'Create on-the-fly connect to VFP driver
Set MyConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
'The Connection string will point at the C:\TEMP directory.
MyConn.ConnectionString = "Driver=Microsoft Visual FoxPro Driver;" _
& "SourceType=DBF;SourceDB=C:\TEMP;Exclusive=NO;Deleted=YES;" _
& "NULL=No;BackgroundFetch=No;"
MyConn.Open

dim sqlStmt
sqlUpdt = " " 'initialize.
sqlUpdt = "SELECT somecounter FROM mytable" & _
"WHERE User = " & CHR(34) & Request("User") & CHR(34)
'Response.Write("sqlUpdt='" & sqlUpdt & "'.") Set RSRslts = MyConn.Execute(SQLStmt)

'Increment counter.
dim NewCnt
NewCnt = CINT(RSRslts.FIELDS("somecounter")) + 1
'increments counter, by 1.

thanks for the tip! this looks like what i need can you recomend a good book on asp programming??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back