Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java on PDA with IBM J9

Status
Not open for further replies.

mphayesuk

IS-IT--Management
Apr 22, 2003
GB
Ok what I have is a PDA running Pocket PC and I have installed the IBM J9 VM, I have got a couple of basic windows working fine, but what I am trying to do is load an image from a file and display it in a window.

Problems with this is the limited amount of classes I have available.

Files are:
/JavaTest/JavaTest/Test1.jar
/JavaTest/JavaTest/Image1.gif

Inside the jar is a simple frame class and I want to load the Image1.gif into it.

Can anyone offer any help.
Thanks

>>>> Problems with this is the limited amount of classes I have available.

What do you mean ?

--------------------------------------------------
Free Java/J2EE Database Connection Pooling Software

If you take a look at the J9 classes not all of the Java2 classes are available ie its a cut down version of java designed for PDA's

Have you got the java.awt.Image class and the java.awt.Graphics class ?

--------------------------------------------------
Free Java/J2EE Database Connection Pooling Software

Ok I have had a look through the 12 page list of packages I have got and java.awt is not in there at all. Which I am guessing is going to cause a problem. When you have J9 and install it on a pda there is an example with it that works fine and that uses images in it. So there must be something I am missing or another way to use images.

Can you just put java classes inside the classes.zip ie I can grab all the awt from the common classes.zip and place them into the pda classes.zip.

But I would rather find a proper way to get the image loaded like the example does.

I have tried to look through the example and work out how they have done it but there are so many classes its taking me a while.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks for your replies, but I have worked it out now, been looking at this for about a week now, its a bit of a change when going from desktop development to doing work on a pda. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back