Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JAVA.NLM running at 98% CPU!!!! HELP! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marmfield

MIS
Apr 10, 2002
US
Gurus, I've rebooted my Novell 5.1 sp3 server twice today because of 100% CPU usage. The third time this happened, I had the web browser pointed to the portal and was able to do a little more research on the server. I found out that JAVA.NLM was running at 98% and was killing the server. I previously thought my problem was NDPS Manager, but shutting that down didn't fix the problem.

I'm looking for a way to figure out why JAVA.NLM is killing the server after 3 hours of use. The only thing I can see the JAVA.NLM is being used for is the Veritas BackupExec program. When I reboot the server, The BackupExec Console launches and then a Java version of what I think is a scheduler launches as well. This problem just started happening. No changes have been made to the server in the last 30 days.

I humbly bow to the wisdom of the gurus.

Matt Armfield

Are you running ConsoleOne on the server? If so it is a Big java hog. Unless you need it running all the time, remark out the startx command in autoexec.ncf. You can always start when needed. I would apply (at least) svc pack 5 or 6. I had no problems with either on the 24 servers I applied them on last year.

Cheers,

Mark ;-)

My guess is that you need to patch BE and maybe Java.. But just to confirm that it's BE that's causing it, you should take the Backupexec Load line out of the autoexec and then reboot. Watch it for a few hours and see how the utilization is.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

yvfwc: startx was already disabled. My problem with loading svc pack 6 is this is the only server my bank has. If it goes completely down, it is very hard to do business without file and printer services.

Is there a guide out there on the internet on how to install svc pack 6 and uninstall it if there are problems?

marvhuffaker: Moving to svc pack 6 patches the java, doesn't it? Maybe that is something I really need to do and take the chance that the server won't come back.

Thanks for the input.

You should be about 99% confident that you'll be okay applying the service pack. I've never seen a 5.1 service pack installation wipe out any volumes or data.

All you're really doing is updating files. Make sure you backup the old files just in case (You do this as part of the install routine), and if necessary you can backrev.

You also need to go to Veritas website and download and apply the latest patches for your BE version. There are several. Do this after putting SP6 on.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back