Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JAVA/JSP Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

esearing

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2000
US
What are the most popular visual tools for creating JAVA applets and JSP pages? Pros/Cons - Does the software do most of the work?

I have found JBuilder Enterprise but it is pricey.
Eric

If you create something idiot proof,
Nature will create a better idiot.

Hi,

VisualCafe from Symantec is reportedly very good. JBuilder as you say, but pricey. Microsoft J++ is a goodun or InterDev. There's lots to choose from...the biggest con is the price ;)

However, Sun have released a free IDE called Forte for Java Community Edition which you can use for applets/servlets and JSP too I think. I tried it and found it very comprehensive. It's written totally in Java so you can use it on Win/Solaris/Linux:

I use Kawa Pro from Allaire to develop JSP's and serlvets - it doesn't have anywhere near the fancy features of the above mentioned clients so no wizards to create the code for you, just simple. Some people use Emacs!

In short it all depends on taste. If you're mainly developing on a Windows platform, probably best to go with a MS product for tigher integration. If you're anti-MS, then JBuilder or Symantec is probably the way to go if you can afford the price. Otherwise stick with the free stuff - Notepad, Emacs, Forte...which are a little bit more work but ultimately more satisfying =)

HTH, Tim --
Tim <tim@planetedge.co.uk>

I actually use Allaire Homesite and set up sever mapping so I can quickly preview JSPs by clicking the tab... i like it's shortcut keys, etc. It doesn't have any code wizards either, but it greatly cuts down on the time it takes to do the presentation part of the page. You can easily create shortcuts for common tags, code snippets,etc.

I just recently started using Forte for servlet development, it seems really slick! It's kinda a pain to switch back and forth, but it works for me.

Homesite has pretty good source control integration too, so you can check out files from their GUI instead of launching VSS or Star-Team or whatever.

It basically boils down to taste, a lot of my co-workers use SlickEdit/VI/Emacs and then compile them from the command line.

-Scott

If you want to use vi to edit java (or most any language), try using gvim.
It understands most languages for syntax hi-lighting, works on most
machines and OS types.

Also interfaces to make and supports split or multiple windows.

On PC's you can right click on a file and select &quot;Edit with VIM&quot;.
Free thru ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back