Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java is a huge cup of coffee!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProInfo

Programmer
Jul 20, 2011
US
Hello,

I've been developing in JSP using the Struts Framework for about 3 months now. I use Netbeans IDE 7, and it's been fun! However, I am looking to start developing some Java Desktop applications. Netbeans tells me that the "Swing Application Framework" is basically outdated and no longer used.

My question is what replaced the Swing Application Framework? Which flavor of Java should I approach? It seems like there are a dozen different flavors of Java out there. Java Fx, Java EE, Java SE, etc, etc.

Is there a certain one I would be better off using? I just don't want to waste my time using the Swing Application Framework when it's history! I do like the Netbeans program, I just don't know if it's what I need to do desktop application development.

Regards,
Tim

If Swing is dated and no longer used, that's news to me. Our company core desktop apps are built on swing.

---------------------
He who has knowledge spares his words, and a man of understanding is of a calm spirit. Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; when he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive. - King Solomon

Lots of things are built on old outdated stuff. As long as you can find staff who know the system and are willing to work with it, it is not a problem. The problem arises when you can't find the staff or you can find the staff but they aren't willing to work in it because it is no longer in demand.

The Swing Application Framework (SAF) has been dormant since 2009 and has been put on hold ever since. Most active fork of the original project is (according to Wikipedia) BSAF (Better Swing Application Framework).

Swing itself is still alive (and kicking), but these frame works are not well known. To be honest, I've never met any Java developer who used either SAF or BSAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back