Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

java for linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonun

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2001
US
I am looking to install/set up java on redhat-2.4.6. Links to installation instructions/ how-to's/ guides would be most helpful.
Thanks.

Hi,

There are a few javas for linux. The most pure in the gpl sense are blackdown from --> and kaffe from --> A lot of distros, including redhat, ship with a kaffe rpm so you could maybe start by installing that.

Of course, there is also the original sun java as long as you are happy with the license . As you can see from this --> the tomcat people seem to recommend using the sun jdk . I have to admit thats the one I'm using at the moment - the setup is as simple as installing a rpm and then setting a couple of environment variables. I've also used blackdown in the past without too many problems.

There's also IBM's java stuff for linux -->
Hope this helps

ifincham ,
I managed to install Java through the RPM and it now sits on /usr and the complete path to java binary looks like /usr/java/jdk1.3.0_02/bin/java

I have also made an entry into the /etc/profile file to allow users to have access to those binaries.
I would like to know if the currnt installation follows the right installation practices..specifically if Java has been installed in the right place.
I read a couple of documents and Im not sure if java should go under /usr or /usr/local

Advice solicited

regards
C

"Brahmaiva satyam"
-Adi Shankara (788-820 AD)

Hi,
Towards the very end of of make (for kaffe), I get this message (both as root and normal user) which I am unable to figure. Of course there are other distros eventually ...

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../../config -I../../../include -DKVER=\"1.0.6\" -I/root/kaffe-1.0.6/./kaffe/kaffevm -I/root/kaffe-1.0.6/./kaffe/kaffevm/systems/unix-jthreads -I../../../config -I../../../include -I/usr/local/include -g -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -c System.c -Wp,-MD,.deps/System.TPlo -fPIC -DPIC -o System.lo
System.c: In function `java_lang_System_initProperties':
System.c:415: warning: implicit declaration of function `time'
System.c:418: warning: implicit declaration of function `localtime'
System.c:418: invalid type argument of `->'
make[3]: *** [System.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/kaffe-1.0.6/libraries/clib/native'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/kaffe-1.0.6/libraries/clib'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/kaffe-1.0.6/libraries'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Status