Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java fonts when upgrading Swing from 1.3 to 1.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModelTrains

Programmer
Nov 12, 2002
US
We are upgrading a large applicaiton with a Swing GUI from Java 1.3 to Java 1.4.2_12. The first question from the users is: "Why did the font get smaller?"

The users have Windows XP, and the server is running Citrix from Windows 2003 servers over an intranet.

I have not found any documentation on this. All I can think of is that Java is rendering the Windows fonts differently with the newer version?

I am open to questions, opinions, and of course ANSWERS!

Thank you in advance for your help.

I log into the Windows server with IE6. From there, I can run the Java 1.3 version and the 1.4 version. The font size is smaller with the Java 1.4 version. All other variables are the same. I need to get an answer from "who knows" and if it can be fixed.

Afurther investigation, here is where the font is explicitly set. This code was not changed when re-compiled. The font Height seems to be the same, but the letters are a little closer together, thus appearing smaller:

example:
labelTitle.setFont(new java.awt.Font("Dialog", 1, 12));
The same problem occurs with ("SansSerif", 0, 12) and ("Monospaced", 0, 12).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back