Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JAVA errors I don't understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekistry

Technical User
Aug 13, 2002
GB
Posting this out of desperation.
Hope someone out there knows something about java.

I have a Symantec Enterprise Firewall version 8, have used previous versions for 4 years with no real problems, but they have now decided to put a JAVA based front end on it.
The java keeps erroring and even symantec tech support have not been able to help - I have spent days reinstalling the OS (windows 2003) and firewall but always get the error below.
If anyone can tell me what this means it would be a great help.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: null source

at java.util.EventObject.<init>(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.event.ChangeEvent.<init>(Unknown Source)

at com.symantec.sef.management.ui.SmContext.fireStatusChange(SmContext.java:1435)

at com.symantec.sef.management.ui.SmContext.setSystemState(SmContext.java:616)

at com.symantec.sef.management.ui.UI.init(UI.java:606)

at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

---------------------------------------
save a life - visit:

Sorry - forgot to mention, there is a web server running on this firewall that runs the symantec console.
The error happens after I enter username/password.
The applet starts to load then I get the above error.

save a life - visit:

Can you find out from them what version of java is required to run their front end? You might have an earlier version on your machine that it's trying to run on.

Thanks, but it is the version of java installed with the firewall so must be the right one.
I have tried other versions, but it did not help.

save a life - visit:

I'm sure the version that came with the firewall is the right one. I'm questioning whether it's the ONLY one. If you have another jre out there, perhaps preinstalled, it may be trying to use it when you think it's using the correct one.

Do they use a properties file to point to the right jre? Do they just use the environment path and assume their jre is the only one? Have you searched your box for javaw.exe?

Or perhaps you have a classpath defined in your enviroment containing some jar files that are overriding the ones the firewall wants?

Just things to check for...

All good ideas thanks, problem is I know nothing about java!

The server was a clean install of windows 2003 so had no java on it at all.
The only software on it is the firewall , which included the java install.

save a life - visit:

Hi

I've just installed Enterprise Firewall 8 on our Windows 2003 box and we got similar errors (both from the server itself and from our workstations).
We managed to fix the problem at the workstation end by updating Java to 1_5_0_02 - it's gone from being sluggish (with errors) to very quick with no errors.

The only issue we still have is that I can't install this new Java version on the server as the firewall seems to have locked it down. If you have any clues on how to update the server that would be great !

Cheers

Try downloading the updates from the symantec site - this updated the java runtime for me. I have never tried installing anything on the firewall directly!

save a life - visit:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back