Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java Editors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tleish

Programmer
Jan 17, 2001
US
Are there any Java Freeware Editors that are comparible to applications like the old Kawa? - tleish

If you are after just a good editior for Java (i.e instead of an full blown IDE) then here's two I use

[1] UltraEdit32 - good but requires $$ to license( - but you can use unregistered version for a period.

[2] J (Freeware) A editior written in Java. Simple but effective. Full syntax highlighing and a great global autoindent feature (select a whole class an it will ident the code perfectly - just the way you want it to.) Plus a whole host of other useful features.
Get from either freshmeat.net or direct from the source (Latest build for this was just released recently)
Over to you
RjB.

Check out IBMS Eclipse project:

You can get a full-featured IDE for java development (it doesn't do GUI drag and drop screen design, but it does most everything else).

And it's free...

... if you are after an IDE then may I also strongly suggest JDeveloper from Oracle - which you can download for free ( With the risk of starting a major holy war I reckon its the best IDE I've seen.

(Qualifier : IDE's are a bit like cars or wine - every ones got there own taste and ideas of what they want and there is no such thing as the "best IDE" in my opinion. You just need to take a few for a test drive and see how they handle.)

But whatever you do - DONT PAY FOR ONE ! I hold very firm views that IDE's should be free.

RjB.

hi

the best editor i've seen in kawa, but its not freeware. anyway, u get a lot of cracks for all versions of kawa. search astalavista.com for a key generator.

luv
Karthik.
A ship is safe in the harbour, but that's not what it is meant for!!! LOL

vkarthik,

What you suggest is illegal. You should always pay for the software you use! :-D Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer

I prefer JBuilder. If you aren't doing Enterprise Java stuff then you can get away with using the Personal Edition which is free or very cheap (about $100). Even if you are doing J2EE you can still get away with the Personal Edition if you don't mind doing the extra deployment descriptor stuff yourself or if you use a tool such as XDoclet.

As far as not paying for IDEs... I don't get it. Companies like JBuilder sink tons of money into developing IDEs, why shouldn't we pay for it? If it offers everything that I need and does it well than I have no problem paying. One thing to remember is a few thousand dollars for IDEs that bring better developer productivity is a drop in the bucket for most projects.

Sorry, I mean companies like Borland, they are the ones that make JBuilder.

The more I see the improvements in Eclipse, the more I like it. Now in the latest stable build, in the method prompting, if you have javadoc stuff on it, it will display that beside the method, so you know what it does. Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer
[pc2]

Please, if you find my post useful, let me know. [thumbsup2]

Check out jGrasp for a great free editor with syntax highlighting, auto-indent and CSD (which is its mainn 'selling' point for me).

Better late then never. ----------------------------------------
There are no onions, only magic
----------------------------------------

I use jEdit.

It's an open source editor that supports syntax highlighting for 70 languages, an extensive plugin library that extends the base editor, unlimited undo/redo, plus too much to put into this thread.

Robert

Now for the inane and meaningless replies ....

JEdit is the dogs bollox

wushutwist,

While I see your point, I think that many of these products are WAY overpriced. $3000 for JBuilder? Are you kidding? That and the fact that their release cycle is about 6-9 months means you sink 3 grand into an IDE only to find that they've fixed a bunch of bugs 6 months later and the only upgrade path is to essentially pay full price for the new version.

I had a less than stellar customer support/sales experience with Borland when I was considering buying the academic version of JBuilder Enterprise that I won't go into.

Face it, by the time you pay this kind of money for an IDE, UML tool and several other developer 'must haves', you've sunk the better part of $10k into software for your developers--for each and every one.

I'm not sure where you work but my department can't and won't allocate this kind of money for developer tools. We'd be looking at over $100k in software. In fact, all the developers are working on 3+ year old workstations with 600 Mhz CPU's and 256MB of RAM or less. We'd like better workstations but convincing them that a $1000 workstation will increase productivity several fold is a hard sell. I probably couldn't persuade them to buyt this kind of software even if the IDE wrote half the code. Senior management just doesn't see the ROI.

It's ironic, however, that they will pay 100's of thousands of dollars for enterprise Microsoft licenses, however, but won't even look at open source stuff like Linux, OpenOffice, etc. That's why we use mostly opensource tools like Ant, Vi/Emacs, junit, canoo and cruise control.

I agree with the prior poster that IDE's should be free. When I sink tens of thousands of dollars into an app server like Weblogic, they should provide a full fledged IDE for free. Hell, you'd think that since Borland and Weblogic have partnered up that this would be the case

</rant>

Just out of curiousity, how long did it take to download Oracle JDeveloper for everyone else? I'm in the middle of a 10 hour download on broadband connections @ 4k a second. Generally, the download speeds for my connection are at about 30k/sec.

Anyone else have the same problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back