Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java DST APARs problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

handle789

Technical User
Feb 21, 2007
US
Hi,

We did a Preview Installation of the Java DST APARs IY85293 for Java 1.3.1 and IY84053 for Java 1.4 on AIX 5200-06 and 5300-04. BTW, we have both Java versions on the same machines. We got the Requisite Failures below. Is it safe to just ignore them and proceed with the installation of the APARs? We looked up the Requisite filesets at the IBM web site. But to be able to retrieve and download those filesets we would have to go back several TL (ML) levels, and those filesets also have their own Requisites which require further downloading. It seems kind of risky having to go far back in TL levels to retrieve and install filesets in this piece meal approach, as it may break the existing Java executables and/or configurations on the machines. Any one familiar with this issue? Thanks for the info.

P.S. Is it correct to set the ownership of those APAR filesets to bin:bin and install as root? Can't find any doc on this. Thanks.

APAR IY85293
-------------------
IBM Java 1.3.1 APAR IY85293 for 32 bit java

Requisite Failures
----------------------
SELECTED FILESETS: The following is a list of filesets that you asked to install. They cannot be installed until all of their requisite filesets are also installed. See subsequent lists for details of requisites.

#1 Java131.adt.debug 1.3.1.17 # Java Application Development...
#2 Java131.ext.plugin 1.3.1.19 # Java Plugin for Netscape

MISSING REQUISITES: The following filesets are required by one or more of the selected filesets listed above. They are not currently installed and could not be found on the installation media.
(Selected filesets which depend upon these requisites are referenced in parentheses.)

Java131.adt.debug 1.3.1.0 # Base Level Fileset
(dep #s: 1)

Java131.ext.plugin 1.3.1.0 # Base Level Fileset
(dep #s: 2)
============================
APAR IY84053
-----------------------
IBM Java 1.4.2 APAR IY84053 for 32 bit java

Requisite Failures
---------------------
SELECTED FILESETS: The following is a list of filesets that you asked to install. They cannot be installed until all of their requisite filesets are also installed. See subsequent lists for details of requisites.

#1 Java14.source 1.4.2.75 # Java SDK 32-bit Source

MISSING REQUISITES: The following filesets are required by one or more of the selected filesets listed above. They are not currently installed and could not be found on the installation media.
(Selected filesets which depend upon these requisites are referenced in parentheses.)

Java14.source 1.4.2.0 # Base Level Fileset
(dep #s: 1)

What do you get when you do an lslpp -l | grep -i java?

Thank you. We have four machines with different versions of Javas on them. I don't have a complete history of how they got there, as I wasn't here then.

The first "lslpp -l | grep -i java" output below was run on an AIX 5300-04. I think only java 1.3.1 and java 1.4 SDK 32 bit are used.

The second "lslpp -l | grep -i java" output below was run on an AIX 5200-06. Not sure which of the two javas are used.
--- First lslpp on AIX 5300-04 ----

Java130.adt.debug 1.3.0.18 COMMITTED Java Application Development
Java130.adt.includes 1.3.0.7 COMMITTED Java Application Development
Java130.rte.bin 1.3.0.18 COMMITTED Java Runtime Environment
Java130.rte.lib 1.3.0.18 COMMITTED Java Runtime Environment
Java131.adt.debug 1.3.1.0 COMMITTED Java Application Development
Java131.adt.includes 1.3.1.0 COMMITTED Java Application Development
Java131.ext.commapi 1.3.1.0 COMMITTED Java Comm API Extension
Java131.ext.jaas 1.3.1.0 COMMITTED JAAS (Java Authentication &
Java131.ext.plugin 1.3.1.0 COMMITTED Java Plugin for Netscape
Java131.ext.security.cmp-us
1.3.1.0 COMMITTED Java Certificate Management
Java131.ext.security.jce-us
1.3.1.1 COMMITTED Java Cryptography Extension
Java131.ext.security.jsse-us
1.3.1.1 COMMITTED Java Secure Socket Extension
Java131.ext.security.pkcs-us
1.3.1.1 COMMITTED Java Public Key Cryptography
Java131.ext.xml4j 1.3.1.0 COMMITTED XML Parser for Java
Java131.rte.bin 1.3.1.0 COMMITTED Java Runtime Environment
Java131.rte.lib 1.3.1.0 COMMITTED Java Runtime Environment
Java131.samples.demos 1.3.1.0 COMMITTED Java Sample Demos
Java13_64.rte.bin 1.3.1.0 COMMITTED Java Runtime Environment
Java13_64.rte.lib 1.3.1.0 COMMITTED Java Runtime Environment
Java14.sdk 1.4.2.20 COMMITTED Java SDK 32-bit
Java14_64.sdk 1.4.2.75 COMMITTED Java SDK 64-bit
ifor_ls.java.gui 5.3.0.10 COMMITTED License Use Management Runtime
Java GUI
ifor_ls.msg.en_US.java.gui
5.3.0.0 COMMITTED LUM Java GUI Messages - U.S.
2.4.0.0 COMMITTED RSCT GUI JAVA Msgs - U.S.
2.4.0.0 COMMITTED RSCT RMC JAVA Msgs - U.S.
Java14_64.sdk 1.4.2.75 COMMITTED Java SDK 64-bit
================================
--- Second lslpp on AIX 5200-06 ---

Java131.ext.xml4j 1.3.1.1 COMMITTED XML Parser for Java
Java131.rte.bin 1.3.1.17 COMMITTED Java Runtime Environment
Java131.rte.lib 1.3.1.17 COMMITTED Java Runtime Environment
Java14.license 1.4.2.0 COMMITTED Java SDK 32-bit License
Java14.sdk 1.4.2.3 COMMITTED Java SDK 32-bit
cluster.adt.es.java.demo.monitor
2.3.0.0 COMMITTED RSCT GUI JAVA Msgs - U.S.
2.3.0.0 COMMITTED RSCT RMC JAVA Msgs - U.S.

Sorry I haven't answered sooner.

If you go to
you should be able to download the latest version of the 1.3.1 and 1.4.2 Java. The filesets will be "initial install" filesets, so you should not need anything else. You will not have to apply the APAR to this newer version.

The 1.3.0 Java does not have an update. It should not be used. If it is, you should get the users off it as soon as possible. (By the end of this week!) we have removed all of our unsupported versions.

Check your /etc/environment and make sure an updated version for java is stated in the path. Also, check for where JAVA_HOME may be expressed (either in /etc/environment of various users' .profiles.)

The ifor_ls filesets are for the gui for ifor_ls and as far as I know there is no patch needed.

Looking more closely at the error you got and the results of lslpp, did the first error occur on the system that has Java131.adt.debug and Java131.ext.plugin or on the system that does not have it?

You have the prerequisites on one system for the 131 patch.

You don't have the prerequisites on any of the systems for the 141. That indicates to me you don't need the update. If you did an update_all, you will get errors like this.

Java14.source 1.4.2.0 # Base Level Fileset"

We had a simular error log. Once we loaded Java14.source 1.4.2.0 since it is a Base Level Fileset, and re-ran the ML everything worked out fine. The problem was downloading the Java14.source 1.4.2.0. We finally found it on Disk 1 of AIX 5.3 OS disk pack.

Thank you all very much. It was a little risky for us to install the complete Java 1.3.1 and 1.4.2 on top of the old incomplete ones, as this may create some unknown problems on the production systems. So we were looking for a minimum install.

I tried to look for the old Java14.source from about 1.5 years ago from the IBM web site, but then it has still another older prerequisite which is not on our system. It took over a week of asking the same question to IBM whether we can or cannot ignore the java 1.4.1 source prerequisite for the DST issue before they finally said that we can ignore it.

The errors regarding the Java 1.3.1 plugin and debug are on those machines that do not have these installed. IBM finally said we can ignore them.

I don't have all the history regarding Java 1.3.0 on our boxes and if someone still is using it. So I will leave the status quo and don't touch it or uninstall it. If someone comes up with a DST problem on Java 1.3.0 then I'll inform them that this version has been desupported by IBM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back