Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java deployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmanuel29

IS-IT--Management
Dec 13, 2006
US
I have a Domain Controller running Win 2003 server and over 200 client machines most of them running Win XP and a few Win 2000 Pro. I have an application that requires Java Virtual Machine installed on every computer using the software. Most of those machines don't have Java. The easiest way to do installations would be deployment via Group Policy. Does anybody know how to deploy Java to all machines. I recently deployed Acrobat reader 8.0 to all machines and it worked great. I wuold appreciate any help.

SUN java doesn't seem to provide an MSI version of it's JRE, but you can always package the executable as an MSI file and then proceed to distribute it through GP. Hope this helps.

This can be done quite easily i've just deployed version 5 update 11 and am just working on JRE 6.

First go here and download the Windows (Offline Installation)

Then look here for instructions for extracting the MSI as it's packaged in the exe.

You need to create a transform file to register it as the default virtual machine unless your users are admins.

There are instructions for creating a transform here but if you're unsure i'll post mine tomorrow.

You will also need Orca (or other table editor) to create the transform.

Ok i got lost on creating the transform.

I don't have Orca installed here so i might have to correct this later.

Once you have found the extracted java MSI file you need to open it to edit in Orca, then select 'New Transform' from one of the menus.

Next find the Property table in Orca and edit these fields as required:

Property Value [IEXPLORER] {1} Makes IE default
Property Value [JAVAUPDATE] {0}
Property Value [AUTOUPDATECHECK] {0} Stops the auto update check which fails anyway if users aren't admins
Property Value [JU] {0}
Property Value [SYSTRAY] {0} Gets rid of the systray icon when Java is running
Property Value [WEBSTARTICON] {0} Can't remember i think it removes a desktop icon.

Once you have done this you need to select 'Generate Transform' from the same menu, this will generate the transform and you can place it in the same location as the MSI in your distribution share.

To deploy this you need to select advanced options in Active Directory when adding the MSI to the GPO there will be a tab for adding a transform.

I would test this first and use Java to see if it performs as you would like before you deploy it to many clients as there are quite a few other options that can be set.

If i've made an error here i'll correct it in the morning but you should be able to figure it out from that.

Ah here is the section explaining those switches the settings below work fine with JRE 5 but one of them errors with JRE 6 i think it's the WEBSTARTICON one. Again i'll double check ths tomorrow.

I've found the required Properties do exactly what the loan's batch file does above. This makes it nice and clean for a deployment via AD and GPO without any stuff to bug your users (admin or otherwise).

Tested on J2RE 1.5 Update 6 but the Properties are in Update 5 as well. I will post this info in the main Java Runtime package entry as well because it has a bunch of 1.5 notes already.

Using Orca or similar, create a new transform (mst) for the extracted msi file (instructions in other spots).

Here is the dump from my MST file using WiLstXfm.vbs from the platform sdk.

C:\cscript WiLstXfm.vbs "J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6.msi" "J2RE-1.5.0.06.mst"
Property Value [IEXPLORER] {0}->{1}
Property Value [JAVAUPDATE] {1}->{0}
Property Value [AUTOUPDATECHECK] {1}->{0}
Property Value [JU] {1}->{0}
Property Value [MOZILLA] {0}->{1}
Property Value [SYSTRAY] {1}->{0}
Property Value [WEBSTARTICON] {1}->{0}

A quick break down of what each does in this MST (based on observations):

IEXPLORER=1 (default=0)
- This selects the IE plugin

JAVAUPDATE=0 (default=1)
- This turns off part of the JavaUpdate

AUTOUPDATECHECK=0 (default=1)
- This turns off part

JU=0 (default=1)
- I'm pretty sure this is the property everyone hated. This is the new property in Update 5 and 6 that turns on that update prompt and leaves JavaUpdate on even if the JAVAUPDATE property is set to 0

MOZILLA=1 (default=0)
- This selects the Netscape/Mozilla plugin

SYSTRAY=0 (default=1)
- This turns off the system tray icon when java applets are active

WEBSTARTICON=0 (default=1)
- This disables the creation of the web start link on the desktop (I think, always had this off)

Yes it was the WEBSTARTICON property that fails in JRE 6 so miss that out if you plan on using 6 rather than 5.

So i have set for JRE 6

Property Value [IEXPLORER] {1}
Property Value [JAVAUPDATE] {0}
Property Value [AUTOUPDATECHECK] {0}
Property Value [JU] {0}
Property Value [SYSTRAY] {0}

and the same for JRE 5 but with the Webstart set to {0} as well.

As for generating the transform i think i was correct when i posted above but i'll go over it again now i'm sat here.

1. Open the jre1.6.0_01.msi (or version 5 if that's what you're using) using Orca

2. From the transform menu select new transform

3. Locate the Property table and make the alterations above

4. Now select Generate transform and save the file, preferably in the same folder as the msi.

5. Now attach the MSI to the appropriate OU in Active Directory, this part is the same as usuall except when you see the 'Select deployment method' box select advanced instead of assigned. In the next properties box select the 'Modifications' tab and add the transform file, select ok and you're done.

This MSI should deploy flawlessly and leave no errors in the event log i've deployed it to over 400 stations without issue, if you do notice any errors then something isn't right with the transform file so you'll need to check that.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back