Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java compiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikalair

Programmer
Jun 4, 2002
US
Hi.

I'm very new to Java and would like to learn basic Java programming. Which compiler should i use? Are there any basic requirements that are needed? Does everything come in one software package (kind of like how Microsoft has Visual Studio)?

Could someone also recommend a good intro book to Java?

thx.

Hi,
You can download JDK from java.sun.com for free. This is the java compiler and builder. Here are also some tutorials on Java. As an editor you can for instance use UltraEdit32.
Diederik

Hi Buddy!

Use jdk, it's free. You can download it from many sites such as htt://java.sun.com and and many more sites.

As you are new to java. The jdk version is the best for learning and building and compiling. It no doubt is the best compiler on windows platform.

Use it and enjoy it!

Best of Luck Momin ho to bay taigh bhee lerta hay sipahee

Just download the jdk1.3 or jdk1.4 (recommending because they r the latest versions)from javas' sun website
" or any other website. it's free and this package contains everything u need. also look out for this site for the free tutorials as they can prove to be very helpful.

thx for the quick replies guys.

What about JBuilder. I hear that is a compiler,editor all in one. Have any of you used it? Are there any disadvantages to using JBuilder compared to JDK?

Hi again!

I have also used JBuilder. But I didn't find anything special except list of unknown errors. I don't know why I faced such kind of errors for instance my PC got hanged while using JBuilde every time and also unable to import java.awt and javax.swing. Only basic java programming I did perfectly in JBuider.

Well dear its my personal exparience. May be JBuilder works perfectly for you.... So must try it but do not rely on JBuilder.

The difference between JBuilder and JDK that I found is that
JDK is fast from JBuilder and give full opportunity to learner to explore java rather than JBuilder...

My person advice for you is that do not use any GUI interface for the development of java programmes if you really want to be a java programmer.

You can ask anything related to java, I will try my best to give you an answer!

Best of Luck Momin ho to bay taigh bhee lerta hay sipahee

I agree with MSalman.. JBuilder may seem tempting with it's GUI but for me using a simple text editor is good enough. However, try obtaining a text editor that high lights important words, popular classes like "Object", which makes it easier for you to debug.

I've been doing java for a year and all i've used was a text editor (NOT NOTEPAD!) and the dos prompt.

I don't know what the folks @ sun did but jdk 1.4 (the lastest one) includes some debugger that slo down the speed of the java applets i used (like the icq one). I uninstalled it and now it's fast again.

Anyhow.. good luck on your learning..

T
*Java's not hard @ all.. don't try to be an expert(syntax wise) @ the language.. learn the concepts... never be language dependent*

Hi again and again!

My dear if you need some powerful code editor other than NOTEPAD go for JCreater. It's a very good editor. I only obserced it when one of my frined was using it. I didn't personaly used this editor coze now I have perfectly adjusted to notepad environment. One advice more, Any editor you are using from the starting try to keep it always. Coze environment to which the human brain is used to plays vital role in excellent progress...

Best of Luck! Momin ho to bay taigh bhee lerta hay sipahee

thx. for the advice guys. I'll be back later with Java questions once i get started.

Later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back