Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Java application makes the system down

Status
Not open for further replies.

eicia

Programmer
Mar 4, 2003
CA
I'm running a java application on AIX 4.3.3
Sometimes when I run it, all of sudden, the system is down.
so I have to reboot it.
Is there anyone has this kind of issue?
Should I install some OS patches for it?

Thank you in advance.

Are you sure you haven't set the heap size greater than the real memory size or something similar? Make sure you update to the latest JVM and OS fixes and I don't see you will see this.

Thank you..

I downloaded jre 1.3.1 from IBM website.
Do I need OS fixes for it ?
There isn't any comment about it at download page.

There are about 7 levels of fixes since the original

You get them from the standard AIX fix site.

java -version

should show you a value of:
$ java -version
java version "1.3.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1)
Classic VM (build 1.3.1, J2RE 1.3.1 IBM AIX build ca131-20030122a (JIT enabled: jitc))

Still you shouldn't crash your system unless you are paging you might seem to be hanging.

vmstat 1

will show if you are paging or what might be CPU usage.

Thank you for the reply.

I installed jre 1.3.1 in /usr/java2
so, I typed /usr/java2/jre/bin/java -version
and I got the same message.
but the java application that i runned has its own jre in it. so I checked java version of the application. and it shows

java version "1.3.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1)
Classic VM (build 1.3.1, J2RE 1.3.1 IBM AIX build ca131-20020706 (JIT enabled: jitc))

can this cause the problem?

About the fixes, am I suppose to download 'maintenence package' ?(I am new at AIX)
I checked the level with the command 'level -r'and got '4320-02'
then, should I download the latest version,'4330-11' package?

Also I set paging size to 2G but the real memory size is 524 MB. but it'd happened before I set the paging size greater than the real memory size.

Having two versions of Java 1.3.1 could cause library problems. Run 'slibclean' between uses - must be root.

For updating and all, I suggest you get an IBM support line contract and they can send you updates and tell you how to install. I highly recommend this for all new admins.

Depending on the application you may be able to change links, but you should contact that vendor for support because they may have updates that they can install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back