Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Japanese text

Status
Not open for further replies.

RazorbackHog

Programmer
Oct 28, 2000
US
I'm trying to create labels with Japanese text. I have the text in Microsoft word and the characters appear in Japanese using the MS Mincho font. When I paste this text into a vfp 6 report form label using the same font I just get square boxes. Any ideas? Seems if the font displays in Word or notepad then it should appear in the report writer also??

Thanks,

Randy

Randy,
Not necessarily, 32-bit Word processing applications have many more font capabilities - FoxPro excels at manipulating data, not text. Are you really using VFP 6.0, or since this is a forum that supports pre-VFP version of FoxPro, are you using FPW? Is this a double-byte font?

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am using VFP 6. I did try pasting this text into fox 2.6a and VFP 8 but get the same results. All I am looking to be able to do is to print some static text in a Japanese font or character set. No data will be stored in Japanese.

Thanks,

Randy

By the way, I just pulled up VB 6 and tried creating a label on a form there and it does the same thing so it is not just related to Fox. It is interesting that I can paste this text into notepad and it will display it correctly also. Still experimenting.

Randy,

make sure you are pasting the data into the RichTextControl.
There is an example for this in VFP6 (I have not checked if VFP8 has the same example). You store the data in a normal memo field (rtf=plain ascii+formatting). I do this all the time for Eastern-European languages. I´m starting doing this for Chinese (S+C), Japanese etc and it seems to work nice. Printing will need some special attention because the VFP-reportwriter can handle this.....

Ron Brahma
The Netherlands

Ron,

Are you saying that the reportwriter CAN or CAN'T handle this?

Thanks,

Randy

By the way, the only way I have been able to get this to work is to set the Language for Non-Unicode Programs to Japanese in control panel - regional settings - advanced tab. This does work although now I am running into PCL errors in printing my statements.

Randy,

sorry for the delay...I was enjoying my holidays.
It should have said: Printing will need some special attention because the VFP-reportwriter can NOT handle this.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back