Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

James, Sometime back you were able

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomDCI

IS-IT--Management
Dec 28, 2014
US
James, Sometime back you were able to send me a copy of your "patch" to correct a problem I was having with Sidekick 98. It worked as designed and fixed the error I was encountering. Now I have a new and different problem, and I hope you can lend me assistance again. I cannot locate the disk that you originally sent me???

It appears as though my machine was infected with a virus. The results is that the virus will not let Sidekick 98 exec. At start up, it gets an error stating that the ETwin.dll cannot find an entry point???

I deleted and reinstalled Sidekick 98 from a downloaded copy of skw98sea.zip / skw98sea.exe. The new version gets the same error!!!

I used a backup laptop and totally initialized a new copy of Win 10, downloaded a new fresh copy of skw98sea.zip. Installed it and got the same results. I suspect the that the download site has been contaminated? The web sites that offer a download of skw98sea.zip, I do not trust!!!

Has anyone else related a similar error or infection?

Please resend to me a new fresh copy of the Sidekick 98 disk. I'll will send to you advance payment via PayPal or whatever method you desire.

Regards and thanks,

Tom D.

dcitomd@gmail.com

Tom Dieterich
108 Duranville Street
Jackson, MS 39212

Dear Tom
Checkout the new post that I will be making first before you go any further.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of any Forum you are in for answers to similar queries, it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

This is a discovery from a user Bob Hall

I did install Sidekick on the root of the C:\ drive by making the amendment in the appropriate window of the installer as we have discussed many times before. But then the next window of the installer says something to the effect that Sidekick will install files in one of a long list of folders, starting with "accessories".  That list includes a highlighted folder called "sidekick" and if you don't make any changes presumably that's where they go.  In my case, with that set-up, the installation fails.  The only change I made during the entire installation process was to move the highlight to "accessories" and for some reason it worked.  
I would suggest that before installation, you create a folder on your c: drive called SKInstall and navigate to that and select it when the second dialog comes up.

I have copied the above paragraph from the end of the email it repeats at the end.

"NatWest were offering their customers a free version of Malewarebytes Pro and like an idiot I downloaded it, As a result it screwed up Sidekick on my desktop Windows 10 pro 64 bit and my laptop, In each case after the download I got the "}#%\cityinfo,dat" error message that you discussed in your recent Tech-Tips post."

He finally solved the problem by, and I quote:

"I uninstalled Malewarebytes Pro and after a few failures I got Sidekick to load on the desktop, (Windows 10 64 bit). It seems to work OK again except that now the first window is the "do you want to let this program make changes to your computer" message, However, click "Yes" on that window and Sidekick opens up immediately."

On the laptop running Windows 10 home 64 bit
I do not know how or why, but I have finally succeeded in getting Sidekick to run on my laptop. The only thing different that I did during installation was to ignore the installer suggestion to save files in the "Sidekick" folder and instead save them in "Accessories". This time when I clicked on the Sidekick icon I again got the "}#%\cityinfo,dat" error message, but the program opened up behind it. Clicking "OK" on the error message made it disappear and the program remained open. I've re-started the computer a couple of times, turned on Windows Defender and opened and closed the program and it's still there - so I think it's fixed

I did install Sidekick on the root of the C:\ drive by making the amendment in the appropriate window of the installer as we have discussed many times before. But then the next window of the installer says something to the effect that Sidekick will install files in one of a long list of folders, starting with "accessories".  That list includes a highlighted folder called "sidekick" and if you don't make any changes presumably that's where they go.  In my case, with that set-up, the installation fails.  The only change I made during the entire installation process was to move the highlight to "accessories" and for some reason it worked.  

Regards

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of any Forum you are in for answers to similar queries, it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

James,

Thanks for the reply to my SKW98 issue. I uninstalled the old version of SKW98 and reinstalled it in the "accessories" directory. Upon execution of the new install, my McAfee anti-virus software, detects a virus, halts the execution and quarantines the Sidekick98 module!

I will send to you a separate email requesting a new and fresh copy of your "disk".

Thanks,
Tom D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back