Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

J2EE book suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpeliam

Programmer
Mar 17, 2000
US
What's a good book for J2EE? I'm looking for something that targets an experienced Java programmer who hasn't learned about EJB etc. (or perhaps even javabeans at all). I'm looking for something that I can use as a reference after I've learned about it.

Liam Morley
lmorley@wpi.edu
"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.
light the world, and bring depth to the silence."

J2EE is such a vast technology, that I would use the resources at for my main overview :

and if you really want to buy a book, either buy the specific tech book from (such as the book on EJB) or buy the "J2EE In a Nutshell" from them, which provides a good overview of most J2EE tech's.

i'll try 'em out. i do have the first edition of "java enterprise in a nutshell", which was released when j2ee was in alpha.. i'm kind of reluctant to buy the second edition and drop another $40 or so. :/ i'm also weary of EJB books that assume prior knowledge of JavaBeans.. but I'll check the SUN tutorials out and go from there. thanks. <p>Liam Morley<br><A HREF="mailto:"></A><br>&quot;light the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>light the world, and bring depth to the silence.&quot;

I found CodeNotes for J2EE to be very cool. There is a free
pdf floating around (or was), but I thought it was good enough that I bought a hardcopy. It's small and cheap.
Highlights include how-and-why sections. It doesn't have the latest and greatest versions of the technologies, nor the defacto components like xdoclet or struts. otherwise good.

Also, and it's not out yet, is a book by ObjectSource. These guys wrote a Struts Survival Guide that is awesome. If their J2EE Project Survival Guide is anything like it, it will rock.

Also checkout Expert One-on-One J2EE Design and Development by Rod Johnson. And spring framework.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back