Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

J179 Admin PWD Reset 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTGMI

Vendor
Jun 1, 2006
US
Have a large qty of J179s removed from a client's business and we are re-provisioning them.

Going on a CM10 switch ....

In our test lab - the phones have had all their admin pwds changed. Prior IT mgr has left the business...

We just need to know the quickest method to reset the admin pwd.

We will be upgrading them all to H323 ... 6.8.x FW but we can't access the Admin menu to get FW upgrade started.

Any help is appreciated... we obviously know the default admin pwd :)

Thanks!

The easiest way assuming they haven't been forced to use static configuration would be to use your DHCP server to set the admin password.

eg: add PROCPSWD=27238 to your DHCP option set.

Alternatively if they're pulling from a provisioning server then add "SET PROCPSWD 12345" to the 46xxsettings.txt file.

FYI I believe there`s a minimum length of 6 digits for a set password as of a certain firmware version. You can`t use craft 27238 anymore on the J100s

kyle555 said:
FYI I believe there`s a minimum length of 6 digits for a set password as of a certain firmware version. You can`t use craft 27238 anymore on the J100s

4 digits is the minimum in the newer versions. I use a 5 digit password in my deployment.

You could be thinking of ADMIN_PASSWORD which lets you set a more complex password and that does indeed have a minimum of 6 characters.

SO when we are adding "add PROCPSWD=27238" to the 46XXsettings file ...

I can't use 27238 as a pwd reset?

Maybe 12345 temporariy until we get them upgrade and in service?

No, Shaun's right. I was mixed up between PROCPSWD and ADMIN_PASSWORD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back