Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

J169 phone - setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

nothingworks101

Programmer
Aug 14, 2008
US
anybody have the new software for j179/169. having trouble getting it off Avaya web page. Just got 1 in and im trying to add it to my r11 demo.

thanks, but I've been having trouble downloading it from Avaya all day. thats why asked if anybody had it already.

IP Office R11.0 supports the J169 and J179 telephones natively. By that I means includes the necessary firmware for those phones as part of the R11 IP Office install/upgrade.

All you need to do is set the IP Office as the phone's HTTP or HTTPS file server. The phones will then be give the J100Supgrade.txt file and 46xxsettings.txt file by the IP Office. (Assuming of course that you have configured the IP Office to support SIP extensions). All covered in detail in the IP Office SIP Telephone Installation Notes manual.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

thanks, I found out it was the site I was at blocking my download, I remoted into a different
site and was able to pull files down.

I hooked up the J179, and it looks like it picked up all the firmware needed, went to login prompt. but I cant get it to login...

it just says acquiring svc ... and gets stuck..

You'll have to describe a lot more if you really want help.

- What type of IP Office system.

- Was is new at R11.0 or upgraded to R11.0.

- Does it already have SIP phones.

- What are the systems SIP registrar settings, especially the Domain and TCP, TLS ports.

- What is the systems HTTP File Server setting set to.

- Are the J100Supgrade.txt and 46xxsettings.txt files being auto-generated or do you have fixed files.

- In the phone what are the HTTP Server/HTTPS Server addresses set to. What are the SIP Proxy addresses showing.

- What did the phone display when starting ("Acquiring service" is normally an already configured phone that can't see the system address against which it was configured).

What type of IP Office system. - powered by Avaya hosted server select

- Was is new at R11.0 or upgraded to R11.0. - 10.1.3 upgrade to 11

- Does it already have SIP phones.- no just ip 9650, I will look to see if we have a diiferent sip phone to try with

- What are the systems SIP registrar settings, especially the Domain and TCP, TLS ports.- sip registrar is checked, tcp set to 5060, tls- set to 5061, domain name is ip address of the ipo server

- What is the systems HTTP File Server setting set to. - http svr - set to 0.0.0.0

- Are the J100Supgrade.txt and 46xxsettings.txt files being auto-generated or do you have fixed files. I didn't add anything, so it must hav ebeen auto- gen

- In the phone what are the HTTP Server/HTTPS Server addresses set to. What are the SIP Proxy addresses showing. --- hard coded ip address in phone, set http/https to ip server address(also same as domain)

- What did the phone display when starting ("Acquiring service" is normally an already configured phone that can't see the system address against which it was configured). -- the red ! is there in top corner showing something is wrong. but it comes up to login prompt, but it wont connect after you put in ext # and pswd.

Happened to me too, the pones did not get the autogenerated files.
When that was solved the phones worked as a charm.

What extension and password are you putting in? The password must be the Phone Password set for extension record, not the user's login code.

sizbut, I was using the password in the user/telephony tab...

I will add in password for ext record and see what happens, thanks

Between phone password, user password, voicemail password and login code you won't be the first or the last.

For the new J100s (J139, J169 and J179) it must be the Extension | Extension | Phone Password. (Some of the old phones can still use the user's Login Code, but even they will use the Phone Password if it is set and people will discover that the IP Office admin tools now nag you to death until you set a Phone Password on each IP extension.)

Using the matching user login code was silly because the user can change that from the phone UI so after a re-boot the phones won't be able to register. I'm surprised it hasn't caused more trouble, presumably most people don't change their login code...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back