Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

J169 Internally 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepp77

Vendor
Oct 30, 2008
GB
Hoping someone can help. We have used DES to connect J169 phones to IP Office systems via the public internet. I am trying to add a phone to our system internally and whilst the 46xxsettings file appears to work well (as we can use Equinox both internally and externally), the J Series are constantly coming back with Acquiring Service when we try and log them in (I can see the phone hit DES and can see it pick up the 46xxsettings file (using monitor) and it picks up the background picture assigned by the settings file.

I would like to try and connect the phone locally just using DHCP options, but am struggling to get it to work.

On containerized I am able to setup a DHCP option of TLSSRVR=FQDN,TLSPort=411 and the phones connect and pickup the settings file and then connect.

I have tried the same on my internal DHCP server but get No SIP Proxy on the phone.

So obviously something else is missing and any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

| ACSS SME |

Pepp we just recently set this up for the first time and this is what we added to Option 242 on the DHCP server.

Option 242
MCIPADD=192.168.42.1,MCPORT=1719,HTTPSRVR=192.168.42.1

granted we were not running TLS. Hope this helps.

Rick

Cheers

Managed to sort it and still use DES.

Some idiot had removed our internal DNS entry for the FQDN so it was resolving to the public IP address. Added that back in and all good again!

| ACSS SME |

It's much easier if you are able to set your router configured with the Option 242 string. Just make sure that the IP address is the same as the one connected to the IP Office system.

When plugging in the IP phones from new, just don't touch anything after you see it booting up!. Wait a good 5 to 10 minutes for it to download all the required firmware even when you see the auto provisioning messages. If you interrupt it, then it will mess up the sequence.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

If you use DES you can then pick that handset up and install it anywhere in the world without Option 242.

ACSS (SME)

Been having a further play with this.

Assuming the IPO is on 192.168.42.230 then the option 242 set to

HTTPSRVR=192.168.42.230,TLSSRVR=192.168.42.230

If the IPO doesn't have TLS ticked on the VoIP tab then the phone will connect via TCP.

If you tick TLS on the VoIP tab of the IPO, then the phones will not connect.

To make them connect via TLS you need to complete the following

You need to create a 46xxspecials.txt file to apply to the phone system to tell the phone to use TLS.
Go to Address of IPO/46xxspecials.txt
Copy the text to notepad
Find the following entry - # J1X9SPECIALS
Under this entry add a new line and add the following text - SET TLSSRVRID 0
Save it as 46xxspecials.txt
Upload it to the primary folder of the IPO

Clear the phone down and it will re-get the files from the IPO and this time connect as TLS.

| ACSS SME |

The SET TLSSRVRID 0/1 disables/enables Cert check. So although it works it's not exactly secure.

@Pepp77 - has the certificate renewed recently??

ACSS (SME)

All the above setup was performed on a fresh install of IPO SE Demo. I literally installed, created a SIP extension and plugged the phone in.

| ACSS SME |

Ah, I get you. Yes that's absolutely the situation with J Series and TLS internally. Ridiculous.

ACSS (SME)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back