Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

J169 in "Standard SIP" mode. Anyone know what this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricMcS

IS-IT--Management
Apr 9, 2015
CA
TL;DR- after restore from backup, a small number of remote J169s only have 3 buttons are as "Standard SIP" instead of "SIP feature" phones.

I had my IP Office crash the other night (config was corrupted during upload.) Could no longer login to web or Java interface to manage, and 3 out 70 DID /extensions were answering the reset went to carrier error.

Did a reset and restored from "backup" which is far from a full config. After hours of tweaking and re-uploading certificates, most everything is working.

I have 3 phones out of 15 in the office the office that won't connect by TLS, only TCP. And I have 3 out of 20 remote phones that connect by TLS but are showing in my registration screen as "Standard SIP" as opposed to "SIP feature". Never seen this before and the phones in "standard" mode are limited to almost no features and only 3 line appearances on the screen - which makes sense if they are not in full feature mode.

2 questions:
1) I didn't know you could even run a phone in standard SIP mode without a 3rd party SIP licenses (which I don't)
2) How do I fix this. Nothing so far has worked. I have lots of licenses for both end-points and power users. Soft phone is working, but I didn't buy phones just to tell the users to use software.

I had about 10 in the office that did the same thing, but I deleted the extension and recreated it and it resolved the issue. Doing the same thing for the ones working remotely is not working. Do I need to delete the user and recreate since these phones are using Power user licenses as well????

Did you factory reset the phones? Make sure the phones are plugged into tagged voice VLAN ports and can pull the SIP proxy info from the IP office.

1000005329_nd4fq5.jpg
Unfortunately, neither of those are really options - the phones are remote phones (on home user's network.) I don't own their router so I don't have the ability to build a VLAN for them and put the phone on it. And since some phones are 500km a way, I can't do a factory reset...

Not that either of those wouldn't solve the issue, I have no way to do that. I need (want) a solution that can be implemented from the PBX end. In the end, I can have the users ship their phones back and then take them offset to try and reconfigure, but it's far from ideal considering these were all working a week ago.

But, I can confirm they can reach the SIP proxy since they can login, make and receive calls - that's all they can do - no forward, conference, voicemail, or any other feature buttons - just 3 line appearances...

It doesn't help much, but I can confirm in at least 1 case, a factory reset did fix the issue.

I found a device in the office that was doing the same thing. I did a lot that didn't work by enabling the web server:
- uploaded config directly
- upgraded firmware
- uploaded webrootCA.pem
- changed webserver

reset to factory and re-imputing the same values did fix the issue for that phone.

Anyone know why this would happen? I thought maybe it was SSL Cert issues since that's been an issue for me many times before, but that doesn't seem to be the case this time.

Add this to the primary folder and see if it helps.

Create a 46xxspecials.txt
add the following lines.

SET SIPPROXYSRVR 10.10.8.1
SET SIPSIGNAL 1
SET SIP_CONTROLLER_LIST 10.10.8.1
SET FILE_SERVER_URL
(Change the IP to the IP Office Lan address)

Upload to Primary folder.

So, I think I found a solution... In the web management, I found IP Office Environment was changed from CCMS to SIP. Once changed back, all the features returned on one phone. I will try another one soon - first I have to fix no talk path. I broke something while trying to fix this, now my phones (not apps) can ring and dial but have no audio (pretty sure it's both ways, but it could be 1-way.)

Ok, I've confirmed that changing the Environment from SIP to CCMS fixes the issue. I found in the 46xxsetttings that SET ENABLE_IPOFFICE 1, and I found that changing this to SET ENABLE_IPOFFICE 2 should fix it, but it didn't for me. Still had to go in and change manually using web manager...

But at least my phones are working again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back