Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

J129 IP Phones loosing login credentials 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginaldJ

Technical User
Oct 31, 2013
ZA
Good day. Installed J129 IP phones on Avaya IP Office V10.0.500 6 weeks ago. I have had a couple of phones loosing log on credentials.
Have to re-log on with user name and password. Any on experience similar problem? J129 phones software is updated to latest version.

Not sure on these. We deployed a bunch on them on 10.1 and in my lab testing they re-registered just fine after power loss without any user intervention. Then onsite, several of them did not, yet some did. Didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for it. Wonder what other techs think about these phones.

Thanks for the info qtelcom. Much appreciated for the feedback.

We had a ton of this randomly happening across all of our schools and seeming they would somehow get logged out in the middle of the day. We pushed the latest firmware and while we did not let it long enough to see if it helped it did not seem to fully resolve the problem. We finally decided to use the config file option to force a SIP username and password. After that I can't find a single phone not reconnecting on a network, IPO, or service disruption issue. I really think this should just be an option to force out usernames/passwords based on MAC address for any phone in IPO but I am curious to see if it works that well for others.

I think this issue just happened to us after we did a failover test with a server edition. Phones did not failover (we are using the 46xxsettings file and I guess there's a field in there we need to modify), and when Primary was back online, the J129's didn't come back. My customer just told me he found one, it was at the login screen. Low and behold it is now up in SSA. Could you please clarify which "config file" you are referring to? I don't think our J129's are using the J100settings.txt that was autogenerated by our server edition. A post elsewhere here on Tech Tips instructed us to modify the J100Supgrade.txt to pull from 46xxsetting. See here:

I see what you mean in that post. My J100Supgrade.txt files are auto generated to be:
[pre]IF $MODEL4 SEQ J129 GOTO J129_SW

GOTO GETSET

# J129_SW
SET APPNAME FW_S_J129_R1_1_0_1_3.bin
GOTO GETSET

# GETSET
GET J100settings.txt
[/pre]

But I guess if you changed that GET to another file then you should be able to use that in it's place. I should mention I am running 10.1 which has native support for the J129 so I did not need to customize that part. To show what I did in my J100settings.txt file I have a line like

[pre]GET $MACADDR.phn[/pre]

To load the phone specific information. I used the .phn extension to help separate the files from all the other config files I have but it works fine. The phone config files are named like a47886b796a1.phn and just contain the following lines

[pre]SET FORCE_SIP_USERNAME "40108"
SET FORCE_SIP_PASSWORD "918273"
[/pre]

We are in our 3rd week of using this method and I still have not found any that fell off the network although we did not test failover. I actually might do that know as we have not test it recently.

One thing I have to say about this method though is I love the ability to do a zero touch deployment of phones by pre-configuring their extension before we even plug it in.

Just did a failover of 121 J129 phones twice and they failed over and back correctly each time :-D

Make sure you disabled media security in the IP office.

Michael Brown
I love that you treated it and reported back.
Have some pink for it

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

A follow-up on this--we wound up reverting to the auto-generated files, staying away from that 46xxsettings file, and our phones are working fine now, or at least seem so. We had a couple of J129's up that pulled the auto-generated Supgrade and J100settings .txt's, and when we did a failover test, the phones failover and come back to the primary no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back