Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I've started making a website using 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

serpento

Programmer
Jun 16, 2002
GB
I've started making a website using CSS at the following address:

In IE it displays just how I want it, but I also want my website to be compatible with Netscape 6 and 7 and Opera. With these browsers there are two problems:

* The absolute positioned <DIV> tags seem to display 5px too far to the left and downwards.

* One layer is displayed too big height ways, so the hexagon in the background is messed up.

If anyone would have a look at the page and the code and help me make it display correctly in all three browsers, I'd be most appreciative.

-Ed ;-)

Few things, won't necessarily solve your problem but still:

marginheight=&quot;0&quot; marginwidth=&quot;0&quot; topmargin=&quot;0&quot; leftmargin=&quot;0&quot;
leave these out <body style=&quot;margin: 0;&quot;>

or your width's and ehight's make sure when specifying a value to also specify the units, px!

border-width: 0px 5px 5px 0px;
leave out the px on 0 values

position: absolute; top: 95px; left or right?

top: 140px; left: 97px;

Same with all the divs, make sure to use units for height's width and positions. Then check the page, see if there is any improvement.

Thanks for your help Cian!

I think the real problem was that IE puts margins inside the dimensions of a layer, where as Nestcape and Opera put them on the outside. I've now found a way round the problem by using two layers on top of each other, and solved the other problem by adjusting the line-height of the font.

-Ed ;-)

cian, be careful with using the units. I think it was mozilla that had a problem with certain dimensions specified with the px after them. If in doubt, leave it out -- it defaults to px anyway. The only time you really need it in is with dimensions measured in %.

As for the fact that IE and mozilla have different interpretations of where borders and margins lie WRT a block level element, let all of the web development community hope and pray for an unambiguous CSS3 spec. from the guys at W3C...

[tt]www.keteracel.com
banner-small.png

[sub]( keywords: ie mozilla css css2 keteracel html )

Serpento, IE5x PC does that. IE6 doesn't, AFAIK.

keteracel, mozilla is a sensitive bloody browser. I always use units except when the value is zero. Haven't seen any problems so far but thanks for the info.

wouldn't web design be boring without all these issues!??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back