Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I've created a letterhead, I need to lock the work so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jocadmin

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2005
US
but allow text input below a certain point.

Basically I want people to be able to type in the letterhead but not change the letterhead I've created.

Word isn't letting me go below a line I added in the letterhead at this time.

Thank you.

Please explain "letterhead". Is this in the Header? Is it text in the main body of the document?

Please clarify "isn't letting me go below a line". Is the line a border around a paragraph? is it part of a textbox? What happens when you try to "go below a line"?

Sorry, but you have to describe EXACTLY the situation, as we can not actually see your document.

Also, you state you want users to be to type in the letterhead...but not be able to change the letterhead. This is contradictory. Typing IN the letterhead (what ever "letterhead" really means), does change it. How could it not. Would not more text in the letterhead be different from the original letterhead. So, there is a change. What do you mean exactly?

Gerry

Okay, to me "letterhead" is a standardized form for company use when an official communication is needed. The top of the Word document is the Company name, logo, address, phone numbers, website info, date, subject and from line.

I removed the "line". It was more of a background color enhancement and not necessary.

So now I want users to be able to add text from the subject line on down. So they would see this:

COMPANY NAME AND LOGO
Address
City, State Zip Code

Subject: <user input>

Everything above <user input> I'd like to protect, have the date auto enter and allow them to add body text below that.

Does that make more sense?

Thank you.

Click

Help | Microsoft Word Help

Type "form" into the what would you like to do box.

Follow the instructions.

Well, sorry, but you did not answer the most important question. However, possibly you do not know the answer.

A Header is a section of Word document that is NOT in the main text body. Generally speaking users do not go in there, as it takes a few wriggles to get into the header.

This is normally the place that business (or people) put "letterhead". It takes it out of the normal editing.

So, you have two choices.

1. You could put the name / address etc in the Header. Put this IN the Header.

COMPANY NAME AND LOGO
Address
City, State Zip Code

Then the user will just enter text normally, as normally they are not in the header. This is why I asked if it was in the Header - the normal place for such things. But again, perhaps you don't know if it is a header or not. It does not matter. You put things in the Header by going View > Header and Footer, and then put in your name / address etc.

2. The suggestion from mintjulep. This is to use Section breaks to separate the name / address etc from the rest of the text body. Put the name / address etc in. Go Insert > Break and choose Continuous section break. This puts a section break. Now you have TWO sections. Go Tools > Protect document, and select Forms. Select the Sections button, and uncheck Section 2. You can use a password, or not...up to you. If it is password protected the user will not be able to change anything.

Once the document (section) is protected, NO edits are permitted. So if the Section with your name / address IS protected, the user can change anything. The rest of document they can do anything they want to.

Using a Header for this is probably the easier, and is certainly the most common practice.

Gerry

The help menu stuff is helping a ton, thank you!!!

this suggestion is a bit 'off the wall', but does address the issue.

create the letterhead as an image, and save as such. then add it to a blank template. the image file will be un-editable. the advantage here is that you can 'go to town' with fonts and logos that all your company comuters then don't need to properly render the letterhead.

one caution about putting the letterhead in the 'header' is that it will show up on any subsequent page. normal compay correspondence uses letterhead for the first page and blank pages for the 2nd, 3rd... pages. to get around this, follow the suggestions of fumei and mintjulep and insert the letterhead into the header, and early in the text of letter use a continuous section break (Main menu | Insert | Break... | Continuous). when the text spills over to the next page, enter the header by double-clicking the letterhead. above the header on the left side will show 'Header-Section 2' and on the right will say 'Same as Previous' - which you don't want. on the little toolbar that pops up, the 5th icon from the left (mouseover shows 'same as previous') will be depressed; click on it to raise it, and the header from the previous page will disappear.

per ardua ad astra

If normal company design is to have letterhead on the first page, and no letterhead on subsequent pages then there is a MUCH easier way than j0ckser suggests.

File > Page Setup > Layout and check Different first page.

Done.

Gerry

jocadmin: "is helping a ton, thank you!!!"
At the bottom left of each post there is a way of thanking the person concerned fot the post. Awarding stars also helps others browsing the site to identify potentially useful threads.

Gavin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back