Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I've changed the lot, but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeCoyle

IS-IT--Management
Jun 12, 2002
GB
Anyone saw this before?
I have 'sticking tapes' - running w2k latest sp, I've changed the tape drive, scsi card and cables, DDS3 tapes and I still get the problem that when I (sometimes) put a tape in the drive appears to lock/shutdown the drive and neither arcserve or removable storage recognizes that a tape is in the drive - only way to retrieve the tape is by shutting the server down and rebooting. It will then recognize the tape in the drive or I can eject it...
Any idea what is causing this...
Many thanks.

I would check the driver and the firmware on the tape drive.

Thanks mccp7 - had allready done so.
I've found that with some HP netservers which this drive is on that some of the PSU leads can be dodgy... I'm going to try swapping with one thats into one of the HDD's (bit drastic, but running out of options).

I have had a similar issue with an Overland device with with a Seagate drive in it (Overland also puts HP drives in their devices). What I found is that they have Overland branded media and Overland compatible media. The difference between the two is that the compatible tapes sometimes have issues (such as "sticky" tapes).

My issue began right after I upgraded my backup software. After long hours on the phone with the hardware and software manufacturers, it turns out it was the tapes.

Good luck.

Thanks guys - we bought in a high spec PSU and this cleared our problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back