Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I've broken scologin! It loops back to the login screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonocleMike

Technical User
Oct 25, 2002
FR
I have broken scologin and cannot see where! The story so far – I installed SCO5.0.6 and supplement 5.06a and all was well. I then tried to get SAMBA working and it was short of a library. I turned to SCO Skunkware and tried a few selective installs but it didn’t bring the library in so finally I installed the whole CD. All was well. I got in with various other minor tweaks and all was still well though I admit I hadn’t used scologin for some time. I now decided to tidy up and remove vast chunks of Skunkware since it occupies 1 GB of disk. Due to finger trouble I accidentally removed the whole of Skunkware though I had preserved the library that SAMBA needed and all was still well. I went on teaking and tidying and then wanted to use scologin and found it no longer works! I get the graphical login screen but after entering my user name and password the screen goes black, short pause and then offers the login screen again. If I use F1 to go into safe mode this gives me the expected minimum scoterm. I’ve looked in those logs that I can find a reference to and so far cannot get a hint but I don’t really know anything about this piece of software. In fact, I don’t know much more than the very basics of getting SCO running with the standard defaults. I don’t want the GUI as I don’t use it but my System Administrator uses it so can anyone make some suggestions as to the simplest way of just getting the basic standard version back? Can I just do a re-install? If so, sorry to ask, but how?

Reasons could be numerous. A lot. Only want shortly to note - resently I have same symptom. After short time without any other message scologin reappears.
User had no accsess or no HOME catalogue at all.
Check .profile file. Check $HOME and access rights to it.
If it is wrong login process will be stopped accidently, but there will be no indications.

Stankow,

Thank you for the suggestion but it is not this. Tried different users all of whom can log in on character-based terminals.

try editing the Xservers file
go to /etc/X11/scologin

vi Xservers

Thank you for your suggestions but I have managed to persuade the system administrator that using scoadmin from the comfort of his own desk is far preferable to using scologin on the console. I have therefore been able to issue "scologin disable" to my immense relief! Subject therefore closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back