Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

iTunes will not install on my Windows Vista Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

blitz92

Technical User
Feb 14, 2005
US
I have uninstalled itunes from my workstation with vista ultimate (I used the control panel's remove pgms to remove all Apple related programs). I then proceeded to download it (itunes 9+QuickTime)again. I tried re-install it on my box. The installation process goes on and when it comes to install the accompanying the QuickTime, the installation gives me an error. The installation then fails. I have tried several times to re-install the itunes and it keeps failing on the QuickTime part. I have restarted the PC after uninstall, dowloaded "new itunes and quicktine installers" but nothing is working. I desparately need any help please. I can't access my existing playlists and music. Please help, anybody.

Thanks again,
blitz92

Have you tried right-clicking on any Setup.exe and selecting the "Run As Administrator" option?

What about creating a "clean" environment for the install.

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

Do you have any error message that may help solve your particular issue?

Maybe System Restore can return the versions to how they were this time last week and give you some access to your music.

Thanks Linney.

I am already an administator on the box.

The error states:
"Installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is: 2356”. Like I said earlier this is happening when the install process approaches the QuickTime part.

blitz92

Hi,
When you removed iTunes, did you also remove QuickTime ( and its plugins)? There may be a conflict with an already installed QuickTime app.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Hiya Blitz92, just because you're an administrator doesn't make you an administrator in the eyes of Windows Vista. Thanks Microsoft! So you still may need to right click and "Run As Administrator" even though you're an admin on the box.

Here is also a thread on the Apple website that might give you some help.

Good luck!

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Turkbear,

When I removed iTunes, I followed Apple's instructions to use the "control panel's remove programs" and removed what they said (about 3 items with the Apple headers and restarted PC). As for QuickTime I am not very familiar with the QuickTime's plugins. Please can you (or anyone) send me info about the QuickTime plugins you are referring to. I think you are right there may be a conflict with an already installed QuickTime app.

Thanks again,
blitz92

Hi,
Look in your start menu for any Apple or QuickTime entries, there may be an uninstall option...If using IE, use the 'manage add-ons' to see it any QT plugins are used.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Windows Installer Error Messages

Error 2356 Could not locate cabinet in stream:

"When troubleshooting embedded streams, you may use WiStream.vbs to list the streams and use Msidb.exe to export the streams."

The above sounds like a corrupted download or insufficient access privileges in the registry or hard drive?

Did you see the link to this post from "ArizonaGeek"
It talks about a separate download just for QuickTime.

Error code 2356?!

Hi Linney,

Apple does not allow you to perform a separate download just for QuickTime. It attaches "iTunes+QuickTime" and you have to download them together. Do you have a suggestion on how (and where) I can separately download iTunes and QuickTime and independently install them (QuickTime separately). I'll really appreciate any and all assistance. You have all been very generous and great with your time. I am not very proficient with the internals of the itunes and/or quicktime. I just perform the download and pray for it to work.

Thanks again,
blitz92

First follow the uninstall info in the following article:

Removing and reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows Vista

Then clean up the install left overs using the MS Installer CleanUp Utility, by removing anything Apple related (see the above article for reference):

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

once done, REBOOT (or totally power down the power back up, that would ensure that memory resident stuff is cleaned out), then run a Registry Cleanup utility, such as CCleaner and have it remove any thing that mentions APPLE (again see the first article for reference), do the REBOOT again, and then install iTunes&QT ...

PS: Question, why do you want iTunes in the first place, or why do you think you need it?

if it is just for playing Muzak, then use another app, such as MediaMonkey... for watching QT (mov) films use VLC... there are many apps out there that do what iTunes and QT do, with a lot less hassle and corruption of the system...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

BadBigBen said:
PS: Question, why do you want iTunes in the first place, or why do you think you need it?

if it is just for playing Muzak, then use another app, such as MediaMonkey... for watching QT (mov) films use VLC... there are many apps out there that do what iTunes and QT do, with a lot less hassle and corruption of the system...

Media Monkey will also do iPod syncing as well. I use it for my iPod music. Well worth it!

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back