Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

It's More Cheesier if you do it right the first time! 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESquared

Programmer
Dec 23, 2003
US
There are several phrases I like to use, consisting of real words, that when spoken aloud suggest something else entirely. There is definitely room for fudging, because half the fun is for the correct phrase to end up being slightly mispronounced but unmistakable. It can help to say the words rather quickly.

Perhaps we could call these Reverse Mondegreens. Or maybe Intentional Malapropisms. Or maybe someone can come up with a better name.

Here are some of my favorites:

It's "More Cheesier" if you do it right the first time! [say this like Sean Connery! And we all know it's better to be cheesier than not to be!]
[deep sigh] Oil Well...
Water you doing?
Why? No reason. I did it just for the halibut.
[and my newest I noticed a couple months ago] Curses! Four-Year-Old Again!

Recently in a thread in the Making An Impression forum, someone said, "King of the Wild Front Ear." That definitely works, but it's not completely in the spirit of what I'm talking about, because the pronunciation is correct. I enjoy it more when the pronunciation is slightly off. [smile]

What examples can you invent?

Stick with ones that you personally invented or heard first hand (that is, please don't search the internet or use universally-known, oft-repeated and overused examples).

-------------------------------------
It is better to have honor than a good reputation.
(Reputation is what other people think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.)

Another bad Joke.

This is about repairing Windows, there is an Windows expert, a CSO from a Help Desk, and a regular person travel in a car and it breaks down. The regular person said "The car is broken, we have to walk". The CSO says "we have to rebuild the engine. Get out and start taking it apart." And the Windows guy says: lets get out of the car, get back in the car, and try to restart it."

I said it was bad.
But that the way thing are with SOE now day the CSO approach seem the norm (replace ever thing). Rather than see what caused the problem. With the car example was ir out of petrol or was the fuel line blocked etc.

Never give up never give in.

As a side note, why would you ever use "more cheesier" in a sentence, when "cheesier" would do just as well? :

"My Brie is cheesier than your Red Leicester"
"My Brie is more cheesier than your Red Leicester"

Of course, defining how cheesy something is is half the fun [tongue]

Dan

i like that idea brps, it's more better.

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
[tt]insert funny quotation here.[/tt]

BillyRayPreachersSon,

I can't tell if you're kidding or not... you do get the "much easier" meaning of "more cheesier," right?

It is better to have honor than a good reputation.
(Reputation is what other people think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.)

I hadn't got the double meaning of the phrase until you pointed it out... Although I knew it must have a double meaning, I just couldn't work out what it was.

I think that these "sound-alikes" seem to wash right over me a lot of the time - illustrated nicely by a long email version of one sent to me yesterday which I just didn't get at all... and even when someone read it out to me, I didn't find it funny (I guess it loses something if someone has to translate it for you!).

I saw this sign at a local veterinary office this morning:

Fleas Navidad!

Susan
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." - Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson (1894)

SF0751,

That's the spirit! Good work.

• Every joy is beyond all others. The fruit we are eating is always the best fruit of all.
• It is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. There is an ignorance of evil that comes from being young: there is a darker ignorance that comes from doing it, as men by sleeping lose the k

Some off-topic posts have been sent to the bit bucket. Sorry, folks. I'm just really fanatic about wordplay and one of the details that makes wordplay more challenging (= fun) is to go with the rules set in the original post of a thread.

SF0751 said:
I saw this sign at a local veterinary office this morning:

Fleas Navidad!

Sorry to be dim - but I just don't get it. What does it mean? I did try seacrhing on Google, but could find no alternate / joke meaning.

Dan

==> Fleas Navidat

That's funny.

BillyRayPreachersSon - Adjust your search for 'Felice Navidad'.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

As TheRambler said... Feliz, not Felice. [smile]

• Every joy is beyond all others. The fruit we are eating is always the best fruit of all.
• It is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. There is an ignorance of evil that comes from being young: there is a darker ignorance that comes from doing it, as men by sleeping lose the k

ZoomerZ,

What's the other pronunciation/meaning of "Happy Honda day"?

Happy holiday, maybe?

--Chessbot

There is a level of Hell reserved for probability theorists in which every monkey that types on a typewriter produces a Shakespearean sonnet.

Perhaps. Maybe we could wish each other a "Happy Holly Day" this season.
[reindeer]

Susan
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." - Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson (1894)

On the subject of the holiday season...
From the book Dogs Don't Tell Jokes:
"Rude officer Ed knows rain, dear!"

--Chessbot

There is a level of Hell reserved for probability theorists in which every monkey that types on a typewriter produces a Shakespearean sonnet.

Kenyan scientists have successfully crossed a rhinoceros with an elephant. What did they call it? Elephino.

American scientists have successfully crossed a Bull Dog with a Shih-Tzu. (And it's not a Tzu-Dog.) You decide what they called it.

Marines in Fallujah passed an old man sitting on a side street. The old man warned the marines, "Don't go down dat street, there's a 'bacon tree'. Figuring the old man to be badly confused, the Marines continued down the street only to be met with RPGs and automatic weapons fire. After disposing of the insurgents, the Marines returned past the old man, "Why didn't you warn us?" The old man apologised saying, "Sorry, it wasn't a 'bacon tree' it vaz...how you say...a 'ham bush'."

My artist friend went to a garage sale and bought the $35 easel instead of the $75 easel because he wanted the "lesser of two easels."

The Vatican has decided that it is not a sin to kiss a nun, just don't get into the habit.

Before marriage, a man YEARNS for the woman he loves. After marriage, the ‘Y’ becomes silent.

The girl has two boyfriends. One makes great cakes, the other fine poetry: She is trying to decide if she wants to marry "for batter or for verse."

A 4-year-old, the youngest of 5 brothers, when asked about the new baby to arrive in a couple of weeks says, "I know what we're gonna name it, too. My mom says 'If it's a girl we'll call it Christina; if it's a boy we're gonna call it Quits.'"

Q. What Do you get when you cross Lee Iacocca with Dracula?
A. Autoexec.bat

Q. What do you call a deer with no eyes?
A. No-eye deer.
Q. What do you call it if it also has no legs?
A. Still-no-eye deer.

Q. Where did Noah keep his bees?
A. In the Ark Hive, of course.

Practice safe eating -- always use condiments.

If you pushed your naked clone off the top of a tall building, would it be: A ) murder, B ) suicide, or C ) merely making an obscene clone fall?

Cheers,

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
@ 06:34 (22Dec04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"),
@ 23:34 (21Dec04) Mountain Time

A millitary favorite.

Who fired that shot!!!

I farded it. (with a little souther accent)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back