Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

It's been fun 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

iolair

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2002
US
I just failed for the fifth time to renew my CCNA. I first earned the CCNA in Oct. 2007. Since then, I have attempted BSCI twice, CCNA Security once, and when my cert expired in Oct. 2010, I tried CCNA in November of 2010 and today. I scored 735 in November and today.

I used Todd Lammle's book and the Cisco Press book. I have a small lab of four 2621XM routers, two 2950 switches, and an old PIX 515E someone gave me.

According to my scores, I am weak on ACL/NAT and "describe how a network works." I know that the Cisco exam is never wrong, but I came back to the office, and entered the exact same commands on my routers and the ACL worked just fine on my routers. I can only assume that my passing in Oct. 2007 was a fluke. I am not cut out to be a Cisco engineer.

So, I'm giving up trying to get Cisco certified.

My main reason for writing though, is to thank all of you for your support and encouragement. Especially want to thank burtsbees, CiscoGuy33, and lerdalt for all your help. You guys are the greatest. Thank you also to Tek-Tips for this wonderful forum.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

It's early days! If I can do it (a voice tech moving into VOIP) then you certainly can! Please don't give up, we are all behind you and it is passable!

Tell us how we can help and we will! (I've been there believe me, but I refused to quit)

Daft part is, you probably forgot to save the config on the exam! I was warned about that!

Regards

R4

OzzieGeorge, thanks again. I did use "end" when my configuration was done, per the instructions on the exam. (In real life I use "exit" and then "copy run start". I also, just for fun, did a copy run start on the exam.

I don't know what I did wrong, but obviously something. Thanks for the encouragement and the help you've given me in the past.

Is a 735 even close? I know I needed 825 to pass, but the way they grade, I don't know if 735 means you almost got it, or you're way off.

Thanks.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

You've seen the CCNA test twice. You know what they ask you. You know from your score report you need to focus on ACLs/NAT and how traffic moves on a network.

You are making a key mistake by placing your ego on the passing of exams. Never do that with Cisco or you will get discouraged and quit. I don't know anyone who has passed every Cisco exam they ever took. Don't give up.

You need to go through your study materials (the books and lab gear you are using are adequate to pass) and all but MEMORIZE them! You need to know the material backwards and forwards. Your score sheet should show your strong areas as well as your weak areas. Go back in your materials and LOOK for the areas you saw questions about. Study those. In the Cisco press books there are "key topics" annotated. Know those cold! Write out configs from memory over and over so you don't hesitate with command syntax. Draw diagrams of small networks and conceptualize how formats change and the data moves through the OSI stack. Know what headers and trailers are added, when and where. Know how the TCP handshake works. Know how frames are crafted and forwarded (addresses change on a link by link basis), while IP headers don't change the source IP or destination IP except when NAT occurs.

You have passed the CCNA in the past. You can do it again. Just don't go wobbly.

You know you have scratch paper in the exam room. You should be writing down your charts/memory joggers during the survey period at the start of the exam. That should focus you.

You are your worst enemy on the exams. All the exams are doing is validating that you have the requisite skills Cisco thinks you need to hold the letters after your name. They are fair tests, but they are challenging.

Make sure you RTFQ and understand what they are asking, especially when using key words. Cisco expects you to know the lingo. As an example, when we talk about the "reliability" of routing information, what does that mean? Answer: Administrative Distance. Terminology and acronyms.

Now, quit your pity party, hit the books again and nail the CCNA. We have faith you can do it!!!! Rant over.

Cluebird, thanks for the kick in the, um, well, you know. Just quit the pity party and getting back to it. Yes, I really need to nail down the ACL/NAT section for sure. I probably need to get faster with the math, too. I started getting low on time and panicked (sp?)

As for my ego, you're a very insightful person. I am my own worst enemy. I agree, the tests are fair. Very fair.

Thanks, Cluebird. Now, back to the books and lab.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Another thing, maybe it's time to get creative in some study methods. I just got an email the other day about a sample webinar specifically covering ACL. Maybe something here can help you out more.

Don't be afraid to look at CCIE level training. I know for me, it helped to do searches specific to the topic and not the cert. Sometimes would come up with CCIE links, that I finally broke down to look through. Many times it would help break down a topic better.

And I know IPexpert and Internetwork Expert also had some good information for all levels. It can help to just get a fresh taste on the information instead of reading and re-reading the same books over and over.

I hope you aren't doing all the binary math on the subnetting questions and that is where you lost some time. Definitely time gained here in understanding the binary, but knowing the shortcuts.

lerdalt, as always, thanks. You're the best. I need to practice in the lab some more.

I actually did read some stuff in the CCNP level this last time, and it seemed to help, so, I'll take a look at the CCIE level stuff, too. I looked at ROUTE especially and found it very helpful with EIGRP and OSPF.

No, not doing binary, but I just need to practice subnetting more.

Thanks for the encouragement. Next time, I'll pass.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

lerdalt, thanks again. These are most helpful. Now, practice, practice, practice.................

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

If you are getting a NAT lab in your exam, it's something I almost stuffed up. Know the difference between the extended and basic lists, I got into the habit of using extended during my practice and the exam called for a basic. The config would have worked perfectly but that wasn't the point.

The lab is a massive part of the test if it's NAT and you're making the same simple mistake that I very nearly made it will make it very hard to pass.

Yes, NAT was a huge simulation. The other huge simulation was VLAN featuring STP, RSTP, and VTP. I'm practicing on NAT/ACL now. Without getting into too much detail, the question did ask for an extended list, because it was looking for a specific block on a specific protocol. But, next time I take the exam, I'll certainly be looking for that, thanks for the heads up!

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Thanks. I see that they split the subject into two parts, one on ACL, one on NAT.

lerdalt, you da man!

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Perhaps you need to reconsider the way you are studying. For me, videos and software work much better than books, and I learned that the hard way as well. You might do better with a new way of learning the material.

Thanks. Yes, I am trying videos now, and they are helping.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

iolair

It's good to know that you haven't really given up yet! I gave up about 7 years ago and then took 2 years to do it again after a 5 year break, a case of old dog new tricks! Please persevere as you will feel so good when it actually happens (I almost passed out being in my 50s).

As the saying goes down here , I'm really rooting for you! Mind you rooting has dual meaning dowm here so please don't take it the wrong way!

OzzieGeorge - thanks again for the encouragement. I've been spending a good bit of time with my lab, especially working with STP and VTP. Learning more everyday. I hope to retake before October 1, but dont' feel I'm quite ready yet.

(I'm in my 50s, too, so I know how you feel)

Yep, I know exactly what you mean by rooting for me, Thanks!!!!!!

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

FYI, I failed the CCNA three times, scores like 762, 811, 825---then I adopted a different strategy:

1. Got off my pity pot 5 seconds after I got on it (I am that OCD-type of determined individual)

2. Put into practice relaxation and meditation

3. Took breaks from studying---not too many, but I did not deny myself of necessary down-time

4. Hit the live equipment, as well as GNS3 (dynamips/dynagen), like I had not before

5. Read and reread the material when there were the least amount of distractions---I am A.D.D., about a 7 on a scale of 1-10, as well as OCD, 4-5 on a scale of 1-10

6. Stopped worrying about the time---the biggest reason for failure of the CCNA in particular

7. Took any possibility of ego out of the equation, as so suggested by Tad (Cluebird, who is an instructor)

8. Prepared for the exam, and took it, as if it were a survey, or something that took the pressure of PASSING away

9. Took the exam when I knew it was time---did not worry about, "What did I forget to go over?", "Am I ready yet?", "I should just go and knock it out, whatever, don't care if I pass, used to failing....", etc---when I first questioned whether or not I was ready, I simply but carefully went over everything and double-checked---nothing beyond that

One thing I have learned in life via school of hard knock and discouraging experience, is that the most important ingredient in successful endeavors, and life in general, is BALANCE! So, approached in this way, I studied for and took the exam without a huge level of EXPECTATION, yet enough to be responsible and take part in my own success---I did not take it "needing" to pass, and did not take it thinking that since I triple-failed it, there is a good chance I could fail it again. I also did not go in (too much) with the attitude that I have likely seen most of what could possibly be on the exam---they are random as random can be, and when I took it, the questions were selected from a bank of 650+ questions, and possibly based partially on my past attempts---basically I just went in and took it...KISS! And, RTFQ! Before the test, RTFB!

One final thought---I'm a youngster (in my 40's...lol), and I deal with A.D.D., have kids (they were 1 and my wife was preggo with the second---now they're 6 and 7, boys, terrors, partners in crime, reason for my grey hair and high blood pressure)---if I can do it, ANYONE can! I work for a server and Cisco hardware troubleshooting/repair/replacement, configuration and installation, network design (from the bottom up) and tier 3/4 support---the average age of our engineers is about 45-50---we have 55 offices across the U.S., each manned with 3-7 engineers, most with 2 or so sales associates/managers, and a handful manned with about 25-50 people (HR, admin, engineering, etc, like the corporate and former corp offices), and we've expanded out of the country, to Canada and even China. Our engineers are top-notch, and have to train from time to time, as well as retrain (refresh). More than a few are in their seventies!

Forgot to mention---before any exam attempts, I completed the CCNA Cisco Academy program at a community college---$1400 total, which included books---awesome training! not a boot camp---four semesters, each 8 weeks, 8 hours a week, with the choice of two nights a week or the full 8 hours on Sat.

BTW, I passed with a 987 when I did pass!

GOOD LUCK!

Later

Cisco IOS Software, C2600 Software (C2600-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(25c), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: Copyright (c) 1523-2010 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 11-Feb-1539 23:02 by ßµ®†Šß€€Š

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [ÝØÝØMØÑ], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Edge uptime is 469¼

burtsbees,you are the greatest! Forget Ali, you're the greatest. Thanks for sharing, that really helps. Yeah, I get too worked up about the exam. I am curious about the last line in your message: Edge uptime is 469 1/4, can you explain that? Looks interesting.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back