Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ITMU returns 11412 and 11411 error codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mib147

MIS
Apr 11, 2003
US
This is a helpful TIP and not an issue:

After rolling out the new ITMU, I had over 200 failures with error codes of 11412 and 11411. After further investigation, the SMSWUShandler.log file had WUS exit codes of 340 and 1032. After reading the article below and running the batch file on these troubled systems, the exit codes were cleared up. It helped me so I figured it could help you also.

I've just installed ITMU and had the same errors. I downloaded and ran the batch file against my test machine and realised that we have Automatic Updates disabled on all machines through group policy. This was implemented when we moved off SUS onto SMS updates.

I can't find anything in the documentation about the way windows update service works with SMS. So, this might be a really dumb question but, if I enable the Automatic Updates service on clients, will they start downloading and installing updates from Microsoft or does the Advanced Client have something to do with it?

You can enable the service without having all your clients go to Microsoft and start scanning for patches. Modify your group policy by drilling down to Computer Policy | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Windows Update and open "Configure Automatic Updates". Disable that policy.

Cool, I stunbled on this thread onmy own.. LOL Happy the link helped!

Yea, you need to have Automatic Updates not disabled on your clients. You can't do SUS, WSUS with the ITMU in SMS 2003.

If you have permision issues after you disable it, Tim Mintner has a great blog post on it..

Brian Tucker
The Blogcast Repository

Thanks everyone! I hadn't appreciated that the service could still run with Automatic Updates turned off. All working now. I'm just concerned now about the resources used when the tool runs!!

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back