Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ITG DSP's vs calls 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2004
US
Is there a direct 1:1 ratio of trunks to DSP's on a ITG card? I have 10 trunks programmed in my RDB for ITG between sites. (All three sites are programmed the same, except for route number) I just displayed the number of DSP's on my card via the command line and it shows 8.
Number of DSPs = 8.
value = 21 = 0x15

Would this cause calls to drop when call #9 tries to go out the ITG route?

Any help would be great. My vendor isn't getting it done, and the boss don't want to hear it.

From what I remeber, the DSP to trunk ratio is 3:1, or 2:1 if you are using the more complex G.729 compression. G.729A is a less complex algorythm, so you maintain a 3:1 ratio, just as with G.711 and G.723.

Newer ITG cards have a 4:1 ratio; allowing the 32 trunk platform.

It is possible some QoS metric could be causing the 9th call to drop, but that would reguire some information on your data network design.

Hope this helps,

Scott M.

each DSP should handle 4 calls - 8 DSPs = 32 channels and 32 calls.

2 DSPs are built onto card rest are added via one SODIMM socket. If you are not getting more than 8 calls out. Problem could be the additional DSPs either missing or not working.

Thanks for te replies. I was kinda hoping I had it right, obviously wishful thinking never gets you by Nortel. Anyway. I neglected to say that we are using strictly 3900 series phones, but it doesn't sound like it will matter. Is there a good way to track the number of concurrent calls happening on my ITG cards at any time? I have OTM, but I haven't seen any thing there. The only time I know when calls are dropping is when the director is yelling. Switch is an 11c using Succession 3.0

Feeling the Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back