Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IT vs Marketing!!! Fight of the cetury!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georgi1chuikov

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2003
US
I have a marketing department that makes stupid impossible demands and dealines, will sign of on the undertested piece of software without even looking at it, and then blame IT for any mistakes that come up even though IT signed off on it under the reservation that it has not been tested enough. This is typical for this relationship in every company I worked for, I wanted to hear other peoples stories/problems with this sort of adversarial relationship that often occurrs between these 2 departments. feel free to rant away!!!

"[bugfixes + late_requirements_issued + oops]} * testing_days"

This part just cracked me up! Been there, done oops!

This issue is not particular to IT.
I think you will find it in ANY type of company/industries.
A line can be drawn with SALES & Marketing on one side and everybody else on the other.
BULLSH*T versus BRAINS and guess who usually wins!

...and it's always a 'chicken and egg' argument--Sales says nobody makes money until they sell something, but R/D & Production says nobody can sell anything until they make it.
--jsteph

A CEO heard the senior staff discussing who was was most important to the company. The sales who sold the stuff, the production who made the stuff, personnel who argued that without the people, you'd have nothing, and Admin argued that no of that would matter if they weren't there to pay the bills, collect the revenues and so forth.

The CEO finally stepped in and said that the CEO was a juggler. There were 4 red balls (one for sales, one for production, or for HR, and 1 for Admin) and 1 white ball. "I juggle every day between these four red balls, each is important, and sometimes I'll have it in my hand, sometimes it's out on its own, and every once in a while, one of the red balls may be dropped. But it gets picked up and put back into play right away. But that 5th ball, the white one, that represents corporate profit. When you drop that ball, everybody gets hurt.

No-one is most important. What' most important is that everyone realizes that obtaining profit is number 1 priority. No profit, not business, no business, no nothing.

Sales must realize that they do not sell to bring in revenue, they sell to obtain profit. If it's not profitable to sell at a certain price, then it's not a good sell.

Production must realize that if you wait until it's perfect, there won't be anyone around to sell it. Where is the profit coming from if you don't something to sell?

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

CC,
Your CEO must have been from an earlier time. Now that we are in the dotcom and e-business era the important stuff is market share and stock prices. Profitability will come down the road later.

Start selling when it is announced. Build it when it is ordered. The customer won't mind doing final quality control.

As you might tell, I've had a bad experience.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

True edfair.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back