Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IT upstart needs some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDiddy

Technical User
Feb 22, 2003
US
This may not be so much a request for help but a little guidance. I'm a 23 y/o support analyst. I received a degree in computer animation and decided that wasn't the avenue to take. Already being in computers I decided on the IT sector and found an opening for a support analyst at a hospital and landed the job partly on my knowledge but I think mostly on my enthusiasm and willingness to learn. Now that I have my foot in the door so to speak I'm getting a lot of experience with many different systems, AS/400, e*Gate, and others but it’s mostly surface experience. My position is mostly end-user support, backups and monitoring, nothing very specific. While other analysts higher up on the ladder are great to work with I think I'm seen as a potential rival so the knowledge isn't very free-flowing. I'm planning on returning to school to get a comp sci degree but I'm trying to become more knowledgeable/marketable in the interim. If anyone could suggest a couple fields to concentrate on that encompass a broad area, sort of the base for the systems field I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks

I don't know what to tell you. It sounds like you have a good job with a good organization, so I would try moving up there. You do that by knowing how to play the game.

Chris

It seems everyone's solution to their career problem is going back to school. Just remember, you may have a degree, but it's still not "real-life" experience. Stay where you are, do what Chris says- Play the Game! Going back to school just gives you a piece of paper, staying in the job market says I've got real skills!

[flowerface]

Being in the health care field, you are in an enviable position. The need for experts in health-care-specific information systems is expected to grow. I would suggest you focus on any systems that are "industry standard" for health care. Try searching on Monster.com or other job sites as if you were looking for a job right now; this will give you a good idea of what the most in-demand systems are.

You didn't mention what kind of degree you have in computer animation. As crystalguru said, real experience is what's valuable. I wouldn't go back to school unless you currently have a 2-year degree and want to pursue a bachelor's. Even when job posting say "must have a degree in Computer Science," they will usually accept a degree in any field if you have enough relevant real-world experience.

I posted a similar post on another board recently but I'll reconvey the message here. In short, the skill truly lacking in the I.T. Marketspace is business conceptual understanding. There is little in school that will give you that.

I have an article titled Why Technologists Must Learn To Speak Business that correlates with others in the industry. It places emphasis on communication, business savvy, and professional networking/contacts as much more critical than straight tech skills.

Check it out at:

Also, find someone inside or outside of your company (not necessarily at technologist) who can serve as a mentor. This should be someone who has acheived a bit more than you (in general) from a career standpoint and is willing to let you front ideas/concerns.

Ideally select someone outside of your direct comfort zone (Executive) who will stretch you. BUT BE VERY SENSITIVE TO THEIR TIME. For example: Don't ask advice about the same thing constantly, particularly if you have not acted on prior advice.

That's all. Hope it's helpful. Matthew Moran
The I.T. Career Builder's Toolkit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back