Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IT trainer as career 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

quagsire

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
ZA
Hi,
Does anynody know where I can find info on becoming an IT trainer ?

All help appreciated.

Thanks.

I am a software trainer at a law firm. I've been training at this firm for 4 years. I have 15 years' experience in helpdesk/training. If you would like some real world information, I would be glad to give my story to you and maybe some helpful information.

aevans@jw.com

I am doing programming (C/C++, Java, VB) and would like to train other people and transfer some of my knowledge to them.

You should start by taking a Train-the-Trainer course if you haven't already. This course will provide some valuable information about training techniques and working with adult learners. I would think that if you can get that course and then start training anytime you can...friends that need to learn the programming languages. Also, if applicable, once you have the course, let your IT Manager know that you are interested in training and see what opportunities are available.

I have though of possibly becoming a corporate trainer, however, I wonder what the salary range is? I have a master's degree in education and have 8 years as a Unix system admin, 3+ at a Fortune 500 company.

If someone knows the salary range and career possiblities along with the outlook for the future I would be interested in seeing the data.

Thanks.

I am a corporate trainer. I teach software and specialized applications for a large company on the East coast. I saw a good suggestion posted all ready, which was to take a "train-the-trainer" course. Langevin is a company who actually provides trainer certification. They have classes in everything from how to handle unruly students to delivering your material with humor. With your training experience all ready, a course like that should help you develop a sturdy foundation. Hope that helps!

Thank you for the information. However, in addition to my degree in education, I have taught as adjunct faculty at a university; my real question lies two-fold i would say. 1) What is the pay range, say 40-50k/yr, 50-60k/yr, more? Because I really I would not like a deep pay cut, if any. 2) How much travel is involved, if any. I prefer not to travel, though I do 2-3 times a year presently for training or disaster recovery testing, but that is the extent I am interested in travel, 2-3 times a year for a week.

Thanks for your advice.

Corporate training is totally different than classroom teaching. I taught in a classroom for over 20 years before making the switch to corporate training for a large company in the northeast US. I also have a Master's, since that is required in this state for a classroom teacher.

I think the Train-the-Trainer class is an excellent idea. Also, attend some corporate classes to see how they are run. Training 5 - 6 hours in a day can be draining so make sure you are up to it physically! We train 3-5 days a week. Some are full classes of 10 and some are deskside support.

Pay varies as well. Will you be doing this as a consultant? Or working for a company? Will you be designing your own manuals and handouts? Travel expenses can be combined or paid for separately.

If you are buying manuals to handout, watch out for copyright issues. I had a company that wanted me to train for them tell me that "we just photocopy the manual and give it out!" That is a no-no!! I prefer to create my own manuals and have been doing that for many years.

Contracts are a must if you are doing contractual work. A site to check out for lots of information is

**Quiquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.**

my real question lies two-fold i would say. 1) What is the pay range, say 40-50k/yr, 50-60k/yr, more? Because I really I would not like a deep pay cut, if any. 2) How much travel is involved, if any. I prefer not to travel"

It really depends on if you are full time or contract, with whom you contract, and what you are willing to teach. Needless to say, the more flexible you are the more people will give you work when they have several trainers to choose from.
I contract through up to 6 agencies at a time. Some are two month contracts involving overseas travel; they pay really well. Most are a few days a week of full or half-day classes with in-state travel.
Because I am my own boss there is a good percentage that I need to set aside for taxes. If you are becoming a sole proprietor get yourself a really good accountant and make quarterly tax payments.
The rates were better here in Boston a few years ago but seem to be going back up. I don't know about other parts of the country.
It seems like most of the people on this forum do technical training and not end-user stuff. I do some technical but the "bread and butter" is helping people make simple web sites or deal with Office, so you might want to factor that in to my advice.

Have you considered doing
"on-line" training? there are several colleges that are always looking for trainers to teach their online classes.

heck, you could even start your own online classes by having a Server to host on and getting moodle ( ) this is the route I'm taking at the moment.(still in development phase)

Prof. K

Actually, you are the fourth person to say that to me in the last two weeks.
I think I'll take that as a hint *grin*.

Thanks!

Please ignore my last post - I need to stick to reading and posting to one forum at a time! :)

what ever you say in latin Quiquid latine dictum sit altum viditur is profound. 5 declensions in latin the jesuits beat it into me.

so: corporate trainer huh?

travel will increase.
charge 45 -65 per hour
as some indicated above: choose your own IG's
and get!

Certifications!!!!!

I dont care if you have a PHD or MS does not mean
crap without certs.

because the client can trip you up without it.

Mikey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back